Sanson Produce Cleveland / JB Hunt

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Pintlehook, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    Sanson Produce from Cleveland makes daily deliveries to my place of employment (a grocery warehouse) and I've talked to a couple of their drivers who seemed like cool guys. Today I followed one of their trailers through the gate and it had a JB Hunt DCS daycab pulling it. I sure hope those private fleet guys didn't lose their jobs, anyone have any information? More of a curiosity thing.

@Mike2633 You're from up that way, do you know anything?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    It's not unusual for distributors to use outside carriers in conjunction with their private fleet, such as Costco and Walmart. I don't know anything about Sanson Produce, but I did work in the food industry before, and I've seen many food distributors use both. Shoprite uses outside carriers. Fresh Del Monte uses outside carriers. ACME uses a whole lot of O/O to deliver their loads.

A lot of distributors are getting rid of their private fleet. Bimbo Bakeries (Stroehman, Arnold, Entennmans, etc.) got rid of their private fleet and contracted Grocery Haulers to deliver their loads. The private fleet drivers were switched over to Grocery Haulers drivers. So in their situation, they didn't lose their jobs, although they switched from hourly to trip rate, which I think Supervalue and ACME uses as well.

4. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Sanson produce is in the Cleveland food terminal I drop of meat on Monday at a place right in front of there warehouse. I just saw one of there trucks the other day the dark blue international sleeper cab on it's way out of town. They make a lot of local deliveries and other deliveries and stuff. They have a pretty interesting fleet, day cabs, sleeper cabs, pup trailers straight trucks drop axle straight trucks 10 wheelers the whole 9 yards.

5. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I saw a Sanson produce truck last week Blue International Sleeper Cab heading out of town. There private fleet is still kicking. Foodhaulers on Facebook had a picture of JB Hunt pulling a Little Ceasars trailer, I don't know what that was about. Does JB Hunt just drop what there doing and do these little one hitter quitter jobs? I would of thought they would have all there stuff to tied up on big accounts to waste time like that.

Here is Wooster Motor Ways of Wooster, Ohio working for GFS.

http://hankstruckforum.com/htforum/index.php?topic=13547.120

Pintlehook Thanks this.
  6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Seems like a saw a JBH tractor hooked to a Little Caesar's trailer just last week here in Utah.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  7. double_r

double_r Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh,PA
    JB's main focus anymore is on 3PL(third party logistics) DCS, Final Mile. Using a 3PL is a huge cost cutting measure to companies that have their fleet. Trucks and drivers are the sole responsibility of the 3PL. They now become the "private fleet". Company saves money, drivers get SCREWED(most of the time).

Bob Dobalina and Mike2633 Thank this.
  8. truck_guy

truck_guy Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2015
    SE MI
    I don't know how far Marco's Pizza goes, but they're based in Toledo. Delivered by JB Hunt DCS.

image.jpeg

I asked the local franchisee once how his deliveries were. He said it was okay, but he got different drivers all the time. Seems they didn't last very long at the food service game.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  9. truck_guy

truck_guy Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2015
    SE MI
    Almost as interesting as this.

image.jpeg

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  10. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Marco's never really had a real private fleet. SOHO Foods from Toledo, Ohio that's a company I hardly ever see anymore I think they might still be around, but I can't tell you the last time I saw a SOHO foods truck probably 2012 any how they did Marco's for years and then Marco's I guess outgrew that and started contracting out to JB Hunt. Marco's are phony's if you ask me because they never really had a private fleet there your typical franchise place, the franchiser is out to pass the buck to everyone else and take the risk.

I read the article on Marco's Pizza in Pizza Monthly and Quarterly magazine and Marco's actually is a small company there's a shell company called Marco's Licensing which basically just sells franchises and then they make money off of the franchising agreements as well as making the franchise owner buy all there ingredients through the master franchise.

I highly doubt Marco's owns a single truck or trailer, companies like Marco's aren't interested in being in the trucking business, they are interested in being in the franchise expansion business and selling you a pizza franchise. I don't know how they do there warehousing and all that, they probably lease space at a warehouse and have some 3rd party management company supply workers to work in the warehouse maybe.

11. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I saw a JB Hunt DCS truck pulling a Rite Aid trailer the other day. I think Hogan also seems to be in that game of replacing private fleet drivers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.