Scale Dodging ticket

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by WCE, Sep 27, 2016.

1. WCE

WCE Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2016
    NEED HELP.... an owner/operator was ticketed for not going across a scale in Colorado. He would have had to go off route, and it would have been over 20 miles (one way) off route. Is this legal? Ok, so Colorado has a law they say that if there is a sign, you have to go up the highway to the scale and then back. But federal law states that you do not go out of route to scale. CORRECT???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I've never heard of that federal law. I know in Missouri, they allow 36K tandems on the state & local highways, but only 34K tandems on the interstate. When the Bloomsdale scale is open, they like to sit on US 61 (where you're legal to 36K), accuse you of "bypassing the scale", and redirect you back around to the interstate (where you're over-axle) to cross their scale. Hasn't ever happened to me yet, but to several guys I've worked with. I'd be inclined to deny their request, and state if they want to weigh me, bring the portables to me...because I'm not running on a road I'm not legal to run on.

As to your situation, if the sign directed him to detour, he should have detoured. Next time, plan his route a little farther from the scales where they aren't expecting trucks to be while bypassing their scales.

alds, Trucker61016, jamespmack and 5 others Thank this.
  4. WCE

WCE Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2016
    He was actually empty, and they went back to his previous load to find his route. He was headed to next load destination when stopped. No other route available. He is a grain hauler. He wasn't ticketed for over weight, or any problems.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  5. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Colorado has a clause in the law that says something to the effect that the truck must go to the scale although it could be out of route. Has something to do with the ton/mile tax reporting, only state I have ever seen this rule.

p608 and Studebaker Hawk Thank this.
  6. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Colorado state law simply states that in order to operate any vehicle over 26k lbs on state highways you must have it scaled by an official. Pretty much a catch all.

Seems like he got the shaft today. Lawyer up and drive on.

Some of those coops on state highways can be seriously confusing and definitely out of the way to get to. Never thought that meant I didn't have to follow the signs to get to them though.

7. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    DOT can pick your route for you now?? Never heard of it.

8. BUMBACLADWAR

Dec 5, 2013
    Where is this Blomsdale scale exactly? I used to dodge the scale up there past the Tracy/Weston.Take the scenic route around the flea market.Got caught once.What are you doing? "Driving down a State highway sir".Back and forth.Let me go.Wasnt overweight,just avoiding the "hassle" .

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    S/B where the old rest area was...want to say MM160

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    BUMBACLADWAR Thanks this.
  10. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Years ago I was leaving the state of Colorado on I-25 POE. He asked me where I entered the state. I told him, he said why didn't you clear at Limon. I said it was out of route. He said Colorado state law requires you to clear an inbound POE, no matter how far it is out of route. He didn't ticket me but that was 30 years ago.

11. BUMBACLADWAR

Dec 5, 2013
    Oh,ok over on I55. I didnt go thru there much.Have heard horror stories about it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.