Schneider finance truck specs

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by marineman227, Aug 1, 2015.

1. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Long story short I'm not 100% sold on Landstar and Schneider is back on the map for becoming an o/o. Tonight I was looking through the spec sheets on the Pete 579 and Kenny T680 and I noticed some real simple things are spec'd different between the two just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why. The spec sheets read differently and I've had too much whiskey to really analyze them in depth but a few things jumped out at me that would make a difference to an O/O

The T680 is governed at 80, the 579 is governed at 85. Not a big deal but a really simple thing to make the same across the board but it gets more interesting.

The 579 is listed and "geared for" a typical operating speed of 65mph, the 680 according to the specs is set for an average operating speed of 75mph and the gearing analysis says it's set for performance.

I don't know the actual gear ratios for either truck, they're the same engine and transmission just thought it was odd seeing differences there.

Also I know a lot of guys on here have the T680, I don't follow closely enough to know if anyone got the 579 but if anyone could give me pros and cons either way I would appreciate it. I'm 6'3 so I'm naturally leaning towards the high rise rather than the mid roof but the 579 is a sharp looking truck. Just hoping they accept my application this time, I guess it depends which recruiter you talk to whether or not you're considered as having over the road experience if you go home every weekend.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dogals right foot

Dogals right foot Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2013
    The Dreaded Northeast
    1st of all if you're looking at leasing a truck due to how fast it will go..you're looking at things all wrong.
    When you pay for your own fuel..speed goes out the window.
    I usually cruise around 67 MPH to stay a head of the governed crowd.
    Not saying I don't sprint every once in awhile..let's just say I can run with ANY truck out there.

As for being 6'3''..You will have plenty of room in either truck.
    IMO the T680 is laid out a bit better than the 579..I love the swing out table.
    Storage is a bit limited but that's it for complaints.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  4. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    I say get the 579 to be different.

5. TennMan

Sep 21, 2011
    I only drive 55 so I can make a check.

6. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Yeah I'm really not planning on running fast just wondering if they're actually geared that differently and if there's any sensible reason Schneider would do that

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  7. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    I run between 65 to 70 depending, Sometimes ill kick it up if need be. Truck gets between 7-8 MPG at 65 depending on if I have a head wind and slightly less then that at 70, She will keep with pretty much any truck on the road until I hit the RPM gov.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  8. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    ALL mega trucks are going to be spec and geared for MAX fuel mileage. If they can squeeze 0.2mpg out of a truck they will cut whatever corners they have to do it. Mine when I bought it was cut back to 280HP and a MAX of 50% engine load allowed at any one time. Took me 20 min inside of Insite to revert everything back to factory settings I lost 0.1 to 0.2 MPG and gained a crap ton of HP/Torque back. Instead of pulling a 7% grade at 20MPH it now climbs between 45-50 if I get on her.

9. TennMan

Sep 21, 2011
    I'm lucky to get 5.5 mpg.

10. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Wow, Ten how many miles on her ? Im running a 2011 Int Prostar with a Cummins 500 in it.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  11. sicksfeet

sicksfeet Medium Load Member

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
    I have the 579. As far as pulling hills and gearing this thing is a beast. The final gear split is actually quite a jump from the rest but you can literally keep an easy steady pace climbing mountains until you run into 2 snails trying to pass each other. As far as the midroof goes it's actually about a foot taller inside than a typical midroof, however, I'm 6'1" and i learned quickly to slighty duck going between the bunk and the cab lol. The bed is massive for a standard truck. I don't think you would really have a height issue in the 579. You'd feel a lot less restricted height wise in a 680 as far as walking around inside but once you're stationary you would'nt have a problem with the 579. BTW both trucks are double bunk....however the 579 top bunk folds in half and creates an awesome shelf across the entire back of the bunk. Storage space is plentiful in these. Can't speak for the 680.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.