Schneider Glider Vs. Cascadia DD15

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by haider99, Sep 29, 2016.

1. haider99

haider99 Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    I have to replace of our trucks as the time is almost here. Schneider has a few gliders for sale in Ontario and I saw some penske and Challenger Motor freight leased return Cascadias. The truck will be running Toronto to Montreal hauling Container.

Some details on the trucks below:
    12 Columbia
    Detriot S60 with Eaton 10 Speed
    Rear End: 2:64
    384k Miles
    Tranny, Clutch have been changed by Schneider. Overhead done by schneider.
    (they have other similar units as well)
    They are asking: $55,000 Canadian Dollars

2012 Cascadia
    DD15 with eaton 10
    Rear end: 3:58
    491K miles
    Price: $50,000

I am leaning more towards the Schneider. What would you choose if you were me? And pros and cons of each?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Aside from the 12.7 glider being easy and cheap to work on? Do y'all have any emission restricted areas you run to? If you're in a high idle application I would recommend the gliders, unless you feel like pulling and baking the dpf filters all the time.

4. ExOTR

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Rear end differences are just based on what you pull and where you run, 2.64 is going to be a beating pulling heavy up inclines.

5. haider99

Mar 19, 2014
    No emission restricted areas here.

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I spent 5 months at Schneider. You are making a very bad decision buying a used truck from there. Get one from some place like Penske where you can view all the maintenance records, by people that are maintenance freaks, rather than a place where its been driven by a gorilla, with the very bare bones maintenance done to it.

7. haider99

Mar 19, 2014
    In 5 months you believe that they don't maintain their equipment?

The fear I have with penske is their trucks get driven by a lot of people... if they are not leased on to one carrier.

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    They hate fixing a light bulb. Live & learn man. It's the very last place I'd ever buy a truck. Good luck.

The_Great_Corn Thanks this.
  9. ExOTR

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I'm also with Schneider right now, and worked for Penske before them. Penske is "spot on" with maintenance, but the trucks have the same type of drivers beating them up. Schneider is odd, they actually only change the oil and filters every 60k. But they rev limit their motors to 1300 rpm and 60mph, you literally can't abuse the motors or driveline no matter how hard you try.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Neither.

First as mentioned I would go to a dealer and ask them to spec a truck for you, pay them a lunch or something to get solid specs.

Then I would look for trucks that fit those specs.

Then do your due diligence, get what I am going to start calling a package - oil analys, mechinical check, ECM dump/comparison and dealer dump (that is going to the dealer, getting an spec order ticket for the truck and a list of warranty work done on it).

Then get the one that fits your needs and have the best package results.

I just bought a distressed company and every truck went through this process, no exceptions. Then crappy ones were out of the fleet the second I got ownership, others are on their way out because I stick to a plan.

11. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    At schneider now. I would consider that glider but definitely get an oil sample and possibly dyno. Easy to work on and it'll work for your application. However, since someone questioned Schneider maintenance, here's the current inside scoop:

1- they don't hate fixing light bulbs. They will fix anything wrong with the truck if it's brought in. Unless...

2- PM schedule used to be A, A, B, A, A, B.. every 25k miles. So, no oil, no oil, oil. Trying to get the truck worked on if nothing is wrong and you just want to have a PM done is not possible. However, new PM schedule is:
    Skip first A then continue. So ABAABAAB. Except now they're doing it every 36k miles. So, first time a truck gets oil is at 108k. Quality of maintenance is pretty mediocre as well.

Also, yes the trucks are governed at 60, but rev limited? HAHAHA come on, that is ridiculous. No it isn't.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.