Schneider Paid CDL Training - Ohio

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by SingingWolf, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Schweiss

Schweiss Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well, you won't have to do that on a dedicated account. Walmart is 6 days on, 2 off- though you can stay on a 7th day if you want and just take a 34 restart, and around holidays it's mandatory to do so. But we run pretty hard and couldn't stay on without running out of hours. And you really can't run this account on recap hours, so you need that 34 each week. In other words, you don't have to deal with TAH requests and not getting routed home when you need to be there; it's a set schedule.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    Interesting. That could in fact work to my benefit. I do Civil War re-enactments with some aging friends running a Suttlery (Store) we only do a few a year, since the old man lost his day job due to the idiot owner turning a multi-million dollar a year company into a loss and decided to close the doors for good, but there are only 2 or three shows where they really NEED my help. 2 of them are in KY and have a kid's day on Friday where they bring in 1400 - 2000 kids from 4 counties between 9am and 2pm. Needless to say we make money hand over fist at those 2 events.

4. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    I'd do that full time and never bother trucking again if the monies that good.

5. SingingWolf

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    It does sound like a pretty good deal. Out of curiosity how much leg room is there in these trucks? At 6' 8" with a 40" inseam leg room occasionally becomes problematic.

6. SingingWolf

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    @Schweiss Couple of other questions I have are

1. Do you ever make it up to the buffalo area? Seems to be at the far edge of the 200mi radius.
    2. do you ever get up to the Middlefield, OH area? I know it falls well withing the 200mi zone. I currently live just outside of Middlefield and while the chances are slim that I would take a 10 here, and probably NEVER a 34 from your description of the schedule, it would be nice to hit the old stomping grounds once in a while.
    3. Have you started getting to know the roads and routes to the point where you look at the delivery location and already have a plan in your head of how to get there? If so how long did it take you to start doing this?

7. Schweiss

Schweiss Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    1. No - at least not for a Walmart load. The stores we cover are Western PA (Indiana, PA is the farthest east - about an hour beyond Pittsburgh), Eastern Ohio (western edge - in the north, Sandusky or so, and in the south, almost to Columbus), and about the northern half of West Virginia. I pretty much never have a load that's over 200 miles to the first store; I say "pretty much" because I think I did once - so, once in eight months.

2) I've done the store in Middlefield a few times; it's right in the distribution area. You could take a 10 here if, say, Middlefield was your last stop and you were out of hours for the day. You wouldn't take a 34 because your time at home (whether the full two days or just a 34) is from the distribution center - you start your week at the DC, and leave your truck there when you go home. Couple reasons for this: 1) Because you deliver to stores and then return to Wintersville, you always have a trailer, so you can't just drop the trailer somewhere and bobtail home, like an OTR driver might. 2) Even though you (eventually) have an assigned truck, it gets used while you're at home. The account has a number of part time "flex" drivers, who may run as few as one load a week, and they slip seat. It's not as bad as it sounds. When I go home, I just make sure the stuff I keep in the truck is packed away (cabinets, under-bunk storage), and that I leave a cabinet empty if the slip-seater needs it. And of course, I don't leave anything of great value in the truck (laptop, etc.). I've never had a problem. It also helps that because I go home every week and not really living in the truck full-time, it's not a big deal to load-in and load-out each week. But back to the 10: there's a store near my house that, if I had to shut down for the night there, I'd just have my wife pick me up and go home. But I also live in Pittsburgh, so the one time this was actually a possibility, I chose to run out my hours and shut down at a store west of the city instead, because going home would have meant starting the next morning during Pittsburgh rush hour. I love my family, but no thanks.

3) Yes. I still run directions on Google Maps, even if I know exactly how to get to a store, just to make sure I've got the correct actual mileage to calculate the trip time (And yeah, I know Google Maps doesn't specifically give truck-specific routes. I know enough about reading maps to tell if Google's directions are okay, or if I need to adjust them. But the mileage is really helpful to plan drive times). But you do get to know directions and routes pretty well - maybe a few months to start getting comfortable with it all, I'd guess. Even now, I still occasionally get a store that I haven't been to before. And, I get sent over to the Washington Courthouse DC (outside Columbus) to run a week every so often, and I don't know their stores at all. But I've found that the way I do my trip planning, it hardly takes any longer to plan routes that I don't know than the ones I do. We're talking a few minutes before I go pick up the trailer and go - maybe 10 at the most, usually less. I know drivers who just grab their paperwork and go (which I don't get), and I know drivers who pick up their paperwork and then sit in the break room painstakingly planning out their route (which I also don't get), but the point is to do whatever works for you so that once you get on the road, you're confident and comfortable to get to your destination safely.

And hey, the vast majority of our destinations are WALMART stores. They're generally in the suburbs, on major streets, are built with truck-specific entry/exit routes, and have big dock areas with plenty of space to maneuver. That's why it's a great account for new drivers with little experience.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  8. SingingWolf

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    Thanks for all the great information. From your descriptions my assumptions on how things play out (in general I know everyday is different) are fairly accurate. I suppose my main concern at this point in regards to the actual driving are the idiot 4 wheelers and Amish Buggies :D Winter of course is a concern but That is why I'm going to try to get to school in January so I can get some INSTRUCTED winter miles. Hopefully all goes well and I can get my start as planned. At this point I'm just pinching pennies to cover the down time between my last check and my first check. Thanks again!

9. SingingWolf

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    So I have called into the recruiting office 3 times now and gotten a different person every time. The first didn't want to be bothered with answering my questions and even ask if that was all after answering the first one even though I said I had several. The second one I talked to didn't seem very knowledgeable but was pleasant and tried to get the information I was seeking. The third however, seemed genuinely pleased to help and was the most knowledgeable of the group.

She had some of the info I was seeking and actively sought out answers when she didn't know. One of the things that came up was transferring to OTR after 6 months of dedicated regional. She found out for me that, Yes. Presently you CAN transfer after 6 months but that they are currently re-evaluating that rule and looking into locking you into the account for the full one year contract. However, in general, things will still be dealt with on a case by case basis.

I thought that this may be helpful information for anyone who happens to be looking at the Paid CDL program. This doesn't affect my choice personally because my 2 year plan is still feasible even if I am locked in for a year at Regional Dedicated.

Just thought I'd share. Roll on.

AM14 Thanks this.
  10. SingingWolf

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    @TennMan Was reading back through this last page and realized, like an idiot, you were saying that doing the re-enactments full time would be a great deal if the money was there. Unfortunately, The money ISN'T there at most of the events and it is D**N hard to make a living doing these.

We know people who have failed or are failing in this business because they are trying to use it as a sole source of income and trying to dig themselves out with pennies. The truth is that in order to stay competitive with the "Big Boys" we have to keep our prices low and our quality high to middling, With that being said. on average we only pull off about $2,000 - $2,500 in sales at each event. leaving our Net after expenses at about $1,000 - $1,250 which sounds great for a solo guy on the road with few bills. However, for 3 people with bills and food it just doesn't make it.

Now the 2 Kentucky events. Those two are a slightly different story. we are able to pull closer to $4k - $5k in sales netting us $2,000 - $2,500 which is better but most shows aren't like that. Doing the events full time is something we have talked about and I think the consensus is that we're going to wait until both of them are able to start collecting SS so that they know their bills are paid and they can do a circuit of events without fear of starving.

Edit: Also to let people know. If you happen to be in the London, KY area next weekend stop on down to the Battle of Wildcat Camp. Saturday and Sunday. Battles are usually at 1 or 2 in the afternoon so come early.. Wouldn't bring anything biggerthan a 1 ton dually in there though. it gets aweful tight and washed out if it rains a lot.

11. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    This makes a whole lot of sense... driver shortage this, driver shortage that. Pay out the wazoo in advertising campaigns and the recruiters spend all day making cold calls. Yet when an interested driver calls in seeking info he gets the run around through 3 separate recruiters. I was lucky I guess. I got a girl named Kayla from GB on the first call and she was the only person I ever talked to until orientation and we talked daily for like 2 or 3 months. Really a nice and informative person. Alot of other companies left a bad taste in my mouth just because of the recruiters but no problems with Schneider in that regard.

About your height if it wasn't answered yet, the mattresses are twin XL. I lost my tape measure but Google says the twin xl is 80" long. so just about 6'7". But there is about 6 inches of room on both ends of the mattress before you hit the walls of the cab. I guess you could always stuff some pillows in the extra space to give you a little more bed space. As long as you don't stand straight up out of the driver's seat, you'll have no problem walking around the cab.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.