Schneider percentage lease vs cpm lease

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Jeremy102077, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Jeremy102077

Jeremy102077 Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    I've been driving for 7 years, and have been thinking about and gathering as much information as possible, towards my first lease. For a very sizable amount of that time, I've been looking at Schneider's percentage lease, because quite simply, I like the idea of being able to pick my own loads, and not having to put up with a dispatcher. That of course, would not be the sole factor, lending towards my thinking of liking Schneider's percentage lease. But if all other factors equal, to serve as a tiebreaker between a cpm lease and a percentage lease...I'll take the option that doesn't come with a dispatcher.
    I've asked around with lots of owner operators. I know not necessarily everybody here will agree, but this isn't the part I'm asking about. The general consensus I've gathered, is that in a cpm lease, I'd wanna be making at least $1.50/mile, in order to turn a profit. And that in a percentage lease, I'd wanna be making at least about 65% of the freight bills. Like I said, I know not everybody will agree, but again, not the part I'm asking about.
    What I would like to know is this. I have no idea what the average freight bill is, or what say 65% would equate to on a cpm scale. So say if on a 1,500 mile run at $1.50/mile, that would pay $2,250 before expense deductions...what would 65% of the freight bill come out to? Or does it depend on other factors, like simply what I'm hauling, and how much the customer is paying (the freight bill) for that particular load?
    If there's any other ways anybody else could break it down to me...how to convert and compare X cpm to X%, then that would be great too. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ok big boy

Ok big boy Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Jeremy102077 and RERM Thank this.
  4. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Picking your own loads and being on % wherever you lease onto will always blow out the water some cheap mileage rate carrier.

As far as rates go specially, that's as vast as the ocean itself.
    Depends on endless things...

Ok big boy Thanks this.
  5. TNRebel

TNRebel Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    From what I gathered the percent is a way to go with schneider

6. montanajellyman

montanajellyman Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Billings, MT
    yep I agree % is top pick. Just remember; miles are miles and someone other than you will control those miles. % pick is the way to go, so the only one who will cut your throat is you

Ok big boy and blacklabel Thank this.
  7. OceanDan

OceanDan Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Rock Hill, SC
    How can I speak or communicate with Jeff??? I am considering leasing on with Schneider. Would love to pick his brain.

8. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    You can find Jeff Like on you tube, his contact info is on there in the comments section. You can also find him on FB in the Schneider groups.

9. Byron brown

Byron brown Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2015
    was o/o with schneider,based on what i know,its pretty hard to make it with any company due to cheapfreight,california freight going out pays great but getting back there is .95 cent per mile,colorado is cheap,new mexico is cheap,you cant even break even with loads from there,you can pick your own loads but every day you sit is around $1400.00 out of your pocket,then if load isnt ready and is canceled by schneider,you are out the expences of getting to that customer,that has happened numerous times .you also have compitition from other drivers,break downs,ect...it all sounds good but its not.its all fluff,if you dont have a truck payment its ok truck payment $800.00 per week plus all the insurance.didnt make much.i got a kick from,he said you can right off fuel.you still have to pay for it,around $100000.00 per year,45000 truck payment ,insurance and permits,you figure it out.tires $700.00 per tire.have jeff show you freight board before you sign up.you can see all loads in every state and the rate schneider is letting you have,its all controlled by them.

10. anotherjoe

anotherjoe Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Put and end to the BS work for a large shipper. There out there some have there own trucking side and 2.00 mi home everynight. Im waitg for a ph call on 1 now. And no im not telln ya who it is

11. Lekwid

Lekwid Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2013
    New Castle, DE
    So what was the point of this post? Lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.