School me on Fuel Delivery procedures.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by moloko, Jul 3, 2015.

1. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    I am attempting to get in to Fuel Delivery and was wondering what you old timers had to say about the loading and unloading procedures. School me on this. Teach me your ways. I need to impress these people. I don't wanna seem like a newbie. I have tanker experience but have never hauled hazmat or fuel. Bonus points if you know anything about the racks in the San Francisco Bay Area/ Central Valley. What's a typical day like for fuel haulers?

Shaggy and SLANT6 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    It's going to depend to a large part on how strict the racks are. Loading a fuel truck can bite you in the butt if you make only a slight slip. I've no experience with the racks in your part of the country as I hauled fuel for 6 yrs in Texas. But our racks were anal about any small slip ups and you could easily get locked out for 3 days.
    But it's a great business and worth pursuing. Get with a company that will train you properly and you won't go wrong. Just take your time loading and concentrate. There is a set way to load the truck from attaching the scully cord to securing the vapor recovery hose to opening up the belly valves.
    It's just a matter of getting into a routine. I would say that unloading isn't the hassle that loading is, but you still have to be on your guard. Perfect practice will give you the confidence to make the job a lot easier.
    One thing I found is that working the night shift was a lot better as the racks weren't as busy then so you could get more work done, but I guess YMMV.
    You should make good money. Good luck

Shaggy and moloko Thank this.
  4. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
  5. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    It's like anything else, get a routine, and do it every time you load load/unload. It's been a long time since I've been in a rack, but the quickest way to a butt chewing is to forget to ground first/ unground last.

Ground, vapor/vent, product. Loading or unloading, in that order to start, reversed to finish up.

Shaggy and 201 Thank this.
  6. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Pull on to loading rack tap tanks to check for retain/emty, check product tags are correct on compartments on trailer/truck.Attach scully, then vapor, then loading arm, set the meter and let er'rip.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I see Dinomite is back. (thanks for the chuckle), although, there's nothing funny about fuel hauling. Like others say, get a routine, and keep an eye on what's going on around you. Fuel tank drivers are the cream of the crop, they have to be. I never had the grapes to haul fuel (hauled 1 load of gasoline in my life, that was enough), it just wasn't for me. However, when you consider how much fuel this country goes through 1.38 billion gal. of gas in 2014 alone, that's 374 MILLION gal./day) and it all had to get to the gas station somehow ( no, there isn't a pipe of some sort leading to the station, like some people believe, honest), statistically speaking, incidents, like our friend Dinomite illustrates, are very rare. It's just when it does happen, it's big. Take your time, is the best advice I can give. You'll be fine.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  8. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I am gonna drop my two cents in....

I just recently started hauling HazMat Tanker... I have finished the orientation and go out witn anotner driver Monday. ..

I was completely upfront witn them about what I knew and didnt know and my experience.. they gave me a road test and I nailed it...

now... I did t want to blow smoke and make it seem I was more knowledgeable than I was... because this is Hauling HazMat.... Bleach... much much stronger than you can buy inthe store... I ddidnt want them to asume I knew something I didn't... like de-pressurizing the lines... something that may be very basic knowledge.... I wanted to be taught and shown everything....

so... my advise is dont try to blow smoke up their ....... or you may go up in smoke cause they thought you knew stuff already... after all, you sounded like you did...

Dark_Majesty_06 Thanks this.
  9. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Like yoda said be an open book and ask any and all questions. Everybody has a routine so get one and stick to it, don't worry about trying to be fast like a lot of guys the speed will come in time. Double and triple check everything, best of luck to you sir and welcome to the club.

BrenYoda883 Thanks this.
  10. SLANT6

SLANT6 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    The Nut House
    They already know you are a newbie. Show them you can drive. Don't walk in there trying too hard to make them think you know something you don't. It takes less than 10 or 15minutes of an interview and the right questions to figure out just how much a prospective employee knows. Just be honest and show them you have a head on your shoulders. EVERYBODY in the tank business was new at one time.

BrenYoda883 and Dinomite Thank this.
  11. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    I don't know anything about hauling HAZMAT but know how to pull smooth bore food grade tanks so I think I have the right stuff for this business. I hope I get the job. I'll know next week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.