School on a tight budget?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by chris_karr, Aug 16, 2016.

1. chris_karr

chris_karr Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I've decided that it'd be in my best interests to get a CDL through a school and work for a company rather than going off on my own from the get go.

My biggest feat is that I work full time and don't plan on leaving my job just to go to school, as I do have a family to support. Is there any schools in my area that have a good reputation that would allow me to obtain my CDL on the weekends? Doesn't matter how many weekends it takes to complete, just so long I can continue to support my family while going on this venture.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chris_karr

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
  4. Driver91

Driver91 Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Find a local community college. Most have programs to get your cdl for cheap.
    I paid 200 out of pocket for my school, rest was covered by a workforce grant from the state. And I am not under a company contract and I got to choose the company I work for

Jazzy J Thanks this.
  5. chris_karr

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The issue with TCC and ATI in my area is that they require me to go 8 hours a day 5 days a week, I only have 8 hours a day 2 days a week... I need to make something to support my family.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Keep making phone calls. Some guy around Richmond found a school where he attends weekends only. I don't know the name of the school.

7. chris_karr

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    It wouldn't happen to be CDS 4CDL would it? I could just take the test in mothers friend's truck as he offered, but these companies want recent gratuities if no experience.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't remember the name of the school. This was a few months ago. You need that diploma! Abilene Motor Express will hire you with that diploma.
    Abilene Motor Express
    Tyson Foods
    Freymiller
    Magnum Ltd.
    all good companies that will hire with a diploma.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's a few companies that hire drivers that only have a cdl permit. You hit the road as a drivers helper. Lots of manual labor for the driver and helper because it's food service.
    All these companies have run ads for cdl permit holders for driver helper.
    Sygma Network
    McLane Company
    Reinhart Foodservice
    Gordon Foodservice
    U.S. Foods

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.