Seasonal Jobs in Upstate NY?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by cantornikolaos, May 5, 2016.

1. cantornikolaos

cantornikolaos Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Hi, Y'all,

I'm studying at Holy Trinity Seminary in Jordanville, NY, but have kept my CDL. I am thinking about looking for something temporary or seasonal in the local area, and would prefer to just run back and fourth on the Turnpike and not go wondering all over windy, twisty back roads in the hills. I see some agricultural trucking going-on. Some grain hauling in hoppers and some dairy tanks. I also see a lot of turnpike doubles on the 90. I never see them off the highway, so there must be distribution centers right off the highway. I hope those things don't have to make any tight maneuvers because they look like full-length semi trailers.

Anyway, is anyone here aware of seasonal openings in the area, preferably going down the NYS Thruway?

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PeteyFixAll

PeteyFixAll Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2015
    "Thruway doubles" or tandems, two full 53'ers in NY they are only allowed on the thruway, there are tandem yards at the exits they use, for breaking them apart and then taking the singles onward, or offward! They is alotta trailer outback!! need a doubles endorsement on your license and a NYS thruway doubles certificate.

Anyway, I don't know anyone in that specific area but for much of the northeast anything construction related (think, end dump, cement, blacktop, etc) is summer work. usually worth a check at the quarries, gravel pits, blacktop plants, etc. although probably won't be thruway type driving!??!!

cantornikolaos Thanks this.
  4. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    The turnpike doubles in NY/MA are actually 48' not 53' (the 53' trailers you see with pintle hooks are from Canada for the most part. They run double 53's in places).

cantornikolaos and PeteyFixAll Thank this.
  5. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Are you off full time or part time for the summer? Just running the thruway is gonna be tough, but some ideas are:
    • Construction, dump truck, various outfits
    • Livestock haulers (if experienced with critters), couple days a week to the area auction houses.
    • Used car haulers, with the Canadian dollar low, lot of cars being imported right now.
    • Relief driver for various carriers, quite a bit based out of Syracuse.

cantornikolaos Thanks this.
  6. cantornikolaos

cantornikolaos Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I do have a double and triple endorsement. I have never pulled doubles though. I figures they were only allowed on the thruway with drop yards right off the highway. I don't have a NYS certificate. Are those easy to get?

I don't have much experience with critters, but I am close to a quarry. Hanson has a place right here in jordanville, and I can see it from one end of the monastery property. I've thought about giving those guys a call. I hope I can apply at the local branch.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.