security cameras inside the truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 1278PA, Feb 4, 2016.

1. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Just had a quick thought/idea. Wondering if it's possible to have one of those home security camera setups in your truck a cctv setup. The reason being is the cameras alone are very cheap and you can buy a bunch of them to aim all over. I'm pretty sure you can have a setup done through your laptop with the software. So with an inverter a laptop draws nothing like 65 watts and they have DC 12v cameras.

A good dash cam costs over $200 but you are limited to what it sees out of the front windshield. You can mount the cctv cameras anywhere. You can have cameras pointed out your door windows and at night watch whats going on outside from your laptop in the sleeper.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1278PA Thanks this.
  4. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Awesome and i just checked the specs on the power consumption it's 2 amps for the DVR and 1.5 amps for the cameras that's nothing.

Did he install it with a power inverter that plugs into the cig lighters? Or the one built into the truck?

5. The unit he had ran CAT-5e to the camera's. Ran it off a small 400w inverter. Had a small TV 12" also.

Biggest issue was the jump from truck to trailer. He wrapped the wire around pigtail.

You could get a WiFi version. It would save on wire and such.

Just make sure cameras are waterproof and can handle vibration. Do more research before you pluck down big dollars.

6. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Very cool. Yeah i'm doing a lot of research on Amazon and looking at stuff. I just want cameras pointing out the driver and passenger side window and the windshield. I will use the windshield one to record while driving too.

7. coffee mug

coffee mug Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    truck stops sell dash cams that plug into your cigarette lighter
    [​IMG]

8. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    This is what happens to company drivers with internet who sit too much. My buddy's gf likes QVC.

DUNE-T and Milkman719 Thank this.
  9. stevez57305

stevez57305 Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Florida
    Make sure to mount them where you wont be taking them off with tree limbs. When you do it would love to see your setup

Milkman719 Thanks this.
  10. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I want a setup like this also. One facing forward, one facing backwards on each side mirror and one at the top back of the sleeper facing backwards( I pull a flatbed). Not only would they capture all traffic it would be awesome when in the sleeper. I am always paranoid about people messing with my truck when I am sleeping. It would so cool to be able to look at a screen and see all around your truck when you hear a noise in the night.

11. Milkman719

Milkman719 Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    Just put them all in the sleeper then activate them when you have a lizard.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.