Securement Question

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Hurst, May 6, 2016.

1. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I took a load of rental machines down to El Paso from Denver. Managed to score an easy reload from the same place going back to the same place in Denver,.. same rate.

So they are bringing these little scissor lifts over and loading them on the trailer. Having never done these before,.. I was all set to toss a strap through each of them,.. so I asked the guy,.. how do they secure these? Straps or chains? He said not allowed to use straps,.. chains only.

So,.. I'm looking at 8 baby electric scissor lifts and decided there is no way I am using 16 binders and chains,.. thats just ridiculous.

I looked things over and worked it out in my head,.. 4 chains and 4 binders. Easy peezy.

As I get about half way through,.. one of their drivers come over and gives me the "I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job,..." schpeal,.. to which I am usually open minded to learn something new,.. but he insisted I do it the way I did not want to do it and that was to chain and bind each one individually. After which I'm thinking to myself,.. he should mind his own business.

As nicely as I could I explained to him how I was doing it and that it would work perfectly. He asked what the owner of my company would say if one falls off. With as serious a face as I could muster, I told him,.. "I can promise you that if one of these falls off,.. the owner of this truck is going to say for me to push the rest of them off and keep going". He gave me a blank glazed look and walked away.

Now for some constructive criticism. I took some pics to post here and get some feed back. Firstly,.. I did not have any problems with this load. Traveled beautifully from El Paso back to Denver. POE open,.. green light,.. no hassles.

If what I did here is taboo or not right,. please explain what you would have done differently. I'm fine with negative comments.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So,.. what say you?

Hurst

SoDel, blairandgretchen and ReeferOhio Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    I say, looks purrdy

Chewy352 and Hurst Thank this.
  4. macavoy

macavoy Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    I can't tell from the pics how you did it, can you explain please.

Hurst Thanks this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Not sure what your using to view it,. but if you click or tap on the images,.. they would enlarge some to get a better view.

Each lift has 2 chain eyelets on both sides.

I took a 30ft 3/8 chain,.. hooked to the chain pop out on my deck and dragged it through each chain eyelet,.. side by side. I used a snap binder to create tension at each 2nd lift and ended the chains with a loop through a stake pocket back to a final binder at the end of each side. Very tight,.. no wiggle room at all.

The only down side is that it would only take one of the binders to come loose and really cause a problem,.. because the tension I created was countered by tension from the opposite side of each lift. I used brand new out of the box bungee to wrap each binder from opening up. Its far from perfect. But I was confident with how I did it to run it. I checked on it often for the first few hours. After 4 hours of not even the slightest sign of coming loose,.. I then only checked on it during pee stops.

Hurst

6. Heathcliff

Heathcliff Bobtail Member

May 6, 2016
    I am guessing those things weigh about 1500 lbs each? The only thing I could see to do different is to maybe put an extra chain in the front and the back. I always like to double up the first and just did the back to give it symmetry. I a just goofy that way.

It looks more than secure.

Hurst Thanks this.
  7. macavoy

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    What I would have done is tie two machines, max 3 with 2 binders making a closed connection, aka either a chain or binder to the trailer. Then you could still use the same chain but make sure you have a starting and ending point on the next group of lifts. The way you have it, I don't think you would have enough wll.

Because from what I gather, you have 8 lifts tied with one big long chain even of you have multiple binders, they are not independent, as you stated, if one link breaks, your entire load is at risk.

Lepton1, tsavory, tommymonza and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

You are right,.. and after I finished I thought about exactly that. Similar to how we use a single chain for 2 points of contact on the front of smaller loaders and back hoes etc. I know what you mean.

The tension between each binder is independent of the others and the chain between them is also. How ever,. if a chain broke,.. then yes,.. 2 of the lifts could come loose and fall out.

How ever,. and this is my thinking,. not always the most rational,.. the odds of a 900lb lift breaking a chain with a 5400lb wll rating while cruising down the road would have been something for Ripleys museum. It would have taken an accident or something incredibly severe to break the chain. I'm not arguing,.. and you are right. If I do these again,.. I will do it differently and make each segment independent.

Hurst

Lepton1, RERM, tsavory and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. macavoy

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    As John C Reilly said to Kevin Costner in Tin Cup: "You know, a lot of little bottles makes a big bottle, Chapy."

Unfortunately I'm not cool like six with a youtube video, txt will have to do

Hurst Thanks this.
  10. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    i would have done it that way but probably only two lifts per group.

Hurst Thanks this.
  11. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I appreciate that, didn't see how much deck remained to allow for it, but probably happier with it as a solid block of lifts.

I guess that one broken link in the length of chain may have supported separation - but I doubt they would have gone far with a watchful eye on the mirrors and a careful driver.

Hurst Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.