Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ProspectiveTruckDriver87, Aug 22, 2016.

1. ProspectiveTruckDriver87

ProspectiveTruckDriver87 Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Sorry if I should've posted this somewhere else, but I'm new here...kind of stuck in a 'rut' here lately and looking for a change so i've thought about looking into trucking...I noticed the local community college has a course called CDL Prep class with the description that follows, and the Community College classes are way cheaper than any of the nearby 'trucking schools':

This class will help students gain the knowledge needed to acquire a commercial driver’s license permit. The class will cover safety, CDL prep and a visual inspection (walk around) of the truck for safety. Companies in the area are looking to immediately hire students with their CDL permit in a Driver Trainee program. Students must attend all days to get credit for the class. NO DRIVING INVOLVED.

I'm just wondering if anyones seen a course like this before? I know its not driver training (as it clearly says no driving) but i'm just wondering if it would be something worth doing to see if maybe I wanted to pursue it further? The same school also has a 'Truck Driver Training' course that requires a CDL permit to take, which I figured if I ended up pursuing trucking I could take too (obviously once I got the CDL permit).

Thanks for any help/advice!

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    The drive training should include everything involved in the first class. You would be paying for it twice.

4. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Most people do not need a class to pass their DMVs written tests for a CDL-permit.

Ask at your local DMV for a free copy of the CDL handbook- study general knowledge, air brakes, and combination vehicles sections, take the tests at the DMV. Pay for your permit after you pass all three sections.

There are online study guides too.

5. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    Great question....

This course sounds like a prep to pass the CDL written tests which may or may not give you an insight on how a career in trucking will be.

Before I got my first job, I really didn't know how it would feel on me. I just had to do it. The things they tell you in trucking school may or may not apply to you.

Is there a specific area in trucking you have questions about??

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Don't take that class.

You have to be given a 18 wheeler and someone to tell you what to do and yell at you until you learn not what to do.

There is no such thing as learning to be a trucker without driving at all. Seems to be fishy here, a sort of a taste for those who fall for it.

With that said, if you find a College with a full tractor trailer training program and classes to boot go for it. You have to be on the wheel to learn.

BigGrumpy Thanks this.
  7. ProspectiveTruckDriver87

ProspectiveTruckDriver87 Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Well my full time job is in a warehouse, so i've been able to talk to quite a few drivers that have come in, I think i'd like to start out driving Dry Van and maybe try reefer once I had more experience. I actually just found this site so reading some of the other posts on this forum is helping to give me a lot of answers/insight as well.

I don't mind paying for a school, the course I posted above is about $40 bucks, so I figured while $40 is a good chunk of change, itd be better to spend that then to go all out and pay a huge tuition only to find its something thats not for me....but like someone said below I definitely can understand needing to be behind the wheel to know for sure.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  8. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Just go to you tube and watch The 2 Russian guys about "CDL key words". Words like "safely" coming to a complete stop are always the correct answer. If you just study key words you can pass the permit exam. The false choices are funny as ####.

9. sb1

sb1 Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Iowa
    The practice test on this website are all I needed to pass the dot tests

10. sb1

sb1 Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Iowa
    Also the trucking school that I went to at a comunty college was mostly useless they really only had time to show you how to pass the driving test that they gave you for the dot. When you do get your license find a company that will train you not force you to run team. How much can somebody teach when there sleeping in the back

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  11. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    The $40 fee sounds like you might be seeing an "extension" course that community colleges love to offer at night and on weekends. They aren't really "courses", just somebody who's familiar with a subject (photography, Microsoft Office, truck driving, flower arranging, etc....) gets free classroom space and a few bucks to meet with newbies.

I agree with taking the practice tests on this very site. Once you consistently score above 90 percent, go to the DMV and you'll pass your permit test. Then you'll be qualified to talk to real truck driving schools. And if you decide that it isn't for you, all you've lost is some study time and whatever the DMV charges for testing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.