Semi-truck hits stalled car, killing two people Vinton TX

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Aarrons, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Aarrons

Aarrons Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Truck driver gets jail and a $600,000. bail I dont get that if it was an accident, why would he get jail time??

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...hits-stalled-car-killing-two-people/76228544/

Two people were killed Sunday afternoon when a semi-truck hit a stalled vehicle along Interstate 10 near Vinton, an El Paso County Sheriff's spokeswoman said.

Deputies responded to an accident along Interstate 10 East under the Vinton overpass at about 12:50 p.m., spokeswoman Chris Acosta said.

A car had stalled and was in the outside shoulder. For an unknown reason, a semi-truck ended up striking the stalled car, killing two people from it, Acosta said.

Eastbound lanes along I-10 will be closed in this vicinity for several hours, Acosta said. The investigation is ongoing, she added.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/2015/11/25/victims-identified-sunday-vinton-crash/76377948/

El Paso Sheriff’s Office officials have identified the two people who died in a crash Sunday involving a tractor-trailer near the Vinton overpass.

Joshua Daniel Watts, 32, and Olivia Amber Arrendale, 19, exited their vehicle under the Vinton overpass Sunday to change a tire when they were hit by the tractor-trailer, officials said.

Both victims were from LaGrange, Ga.

The driver of the tractor-trailer, Patrick O’Leary of Garden Grove, Calif., faces two counts of manslaughter. The 61-year old was jailed on bonds totaling $600,000.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Maybe because it was his fault? No excuse for hitting a car on the shoulder. Might be his paperwork wasn't up to snuff or there were 'safety' issues i.e. brakes or tires. At any rate a truck always loses in this situation.

4. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Odd. I see it as the victims and their families lost in this one.

The article doesn't give any clues as to why the driver was charged with manslaughter other than he hit a stalled vehicle. But I would wager the cops found something fairly major wrong. Could have been texting. Or bogus logs. Hard to say really.

5. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    I meant in the blame game the truck loses. Never a good thing when people get hurt and die

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I got ya. A bit tired and should have read that twice, I guess.

mountaingote Thanks this.
  7. Driver#1

Driver#1 Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2016
    It definitely is the family's loss. Joshua leaves two young children that will now grow up without their Daddy. Olivia will never have a life! Also we'll never know what happened to make the truck driver drive in the emergency lane, where the car was parked. The truck driver died just a month later. So many unanswered questions! Just wish I could talk to the truck driver and tell him I don't blame him. I was so overwhelmed with the tragic death of my son, that I didn't think to try to reach out to him. Please be careful out there, and please stop if you get sleepy!

STexan Thanks this.
  8. Bwbibb

Bwbibb Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2016

9. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Probably like so many truckers, he didn't move over for stopped out emergency vehicles LIKE THE SIGN SAYS.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.