Semi-truck runs into hotel, kills man

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Aarrons, May 6, 2016.

1. Aarrons

Aarrons Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    worst nightmare

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...d-west-el-paso-crash-friday-morning/84027352/

A man was killed after a semi-truck driver lost control of his vehicle and crashed into the victim's hotel room Friday morning in West El Paso, police said.

The semi-truck driver, whose name has not been released, was driving east on Interstate 10 at about 10:15 a.m. when he lost control of his vehicle, El Paso Police Department spokesman Sgt. Robert Gomez said.

The driver then exited the freeway onto the 6100 block of South Desert Boulevard. He continued through the parking lot of a funeral home and a brick wall separating the funeral home and the hotel, Gomez said.

He then crashed into the victim's hotel room and struck the victim, Gomez said. The hotel is Studio 6 and is located at 6185 S. Desert Blvd.

The victim, whose name has not been released, died at the scene of the accident.

The semi-truck driver was taken to Las Palmas Medical Center with minor injuries, Gomez said.

The cause of the accident is still under investigation, Gomez said.

The semi-truck driver was hauling steel railroad tracks, Gomez said.

Guests at the hotel staying near the room where the crashed occurred were moved to other rooms at the hotel, Gomez said.

vanishing point Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Fell asleep or serious medical problem, but it probably would have noted the medical, since it said he only had minor injuries.
    I've yet to ever be hassled by DPS for sleeping off to the side of a ramp at the bottom, or the top of the on ramp. I crashed out underneath the " NO TRUCKS " sign at the entrance to the residential neighborhood on the other side of the interstate at the J in North Platte. Slept on the feeder road in front of some 4 star hotel in the Bay Area near Oakland. I dunno, I always seem to make my run, but when I'm tired I stop and cat nap. Sometimes, even this last winter, I've had to run hard, stop for coffee once, take a leak, zoom 400 miles, repeat. There's times when you can't F around. But you have to be awake.

4. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    When I click the link,a big ad for life insurance shows up..,how ironic.

Big Don and Skate-Board Thank this.
  5. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Dang, it killed a hotel guest , and the headboard stopped the steel, which had to be secured real good from the start.

6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    This is probably in bad taste. But I cant help but think of a certain Garth Brooks song,..

Mama was a looker, Lord, how she shined.
    Papa was a good'n, But the jealous kind.

The desk clerk said he saw it all real clear.
    He never hit the brakes and he was shifting gears.

Hurst

bzinger, Big Don, Mainah and 7 others Thank this.
  7. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you use Mozilla Firefox, there is a tool kit called "Add-ons" which you can search for from your upper right hand corner of the Mozilla Firefox browser on your computer. By adding privacy and security catagories to your add on into the "Extensions| Folder such as Ad-Block, Ghostery, uBlock Origin, ad block edge, Facebook phising, Face Book disconnect etc etc etc etc you will absolutely destroy any ads that is part of a web page ready to invade your system.

On this website the result is a very quiet white background with a set of blue forum buttons, a few pictures with internal webpage links so you can move around without trouble. And no ads. No sliders, creepers, in your face and on and on. You can have several hundred of these kinds of apps running.

Steel Dragon and vanishing point Thank this.
  9. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Gotta admit, it was the first thing I thought when I saw the title.

10. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Straps are fine on steel. In fact, I think they are even better. A strap will stretch and give. With a load of steel you hit your first bump. That puts a rut in the 4x4 or causes the load to settle a bit. Even a 32nd of an inch will make your chains loose but a strap is still tight.

If you use chains and a binder and the load becomes just a little loose it's sometimes impossible to hook that next link. I was at Nucor and looked over at another driver bending down holding his mouth. His breaker bar broke and his teeth were on the ground. He hit the rub rail when it broke.

I wonder how fast he was going when he hit? The headboard detached but the headache rack was OK.

tucker and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  11. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    I got a ticket in Wyoming for pulling off on a on ramp. But never in AZ.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.