Senselessnesses

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by camionneur, Jun 17, 2015.

1. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    I do that sometimes at the speed limit, and the reason is trucks pull too closely in front when I'm in the right lane, so if they want to be there that badly, then I just leave it open. If they can't keep left while I'm keeping right, I'll keep left.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Good point.

camionneur Thanks this.
  4. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    Was there a meeting about merging? I know I must have missed something, since people no longer speed up until the last second, no matter how long an onramp or interchange is, they will either start slow, or slow down to less than half the speed limit there, regardless of what the traffic is like, when there used to be a reason to speed up, it seemed... So, is this a school of thought, or bizarre coincidence that most drivers now do that?

Unless they're behind me, then they'd flip out to get by at twice the speed limit if I went that fast. Doesn't matter what I'm driving, that's how it goes. Used to be the 'old fart' cliche, now it's everyone with an alter ego.

I don't know, maybe it's a bigger problem than that, or personal, and every logical example I've been given to follow must at all costs be contradicted when I go to follow it...

That's alright I have other problems to solve, like having none, just wondering where that came from.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    Reason for edit: Surely someone who thinks that way knows why they do.
    Vilhiem Thanks this.
  5. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    I wished I knew...but that'd mean I think like that. And I don't.

I've encountered that myself, mostly with 4-wheelers. When merging traffic is making its way onto the interstate I try to match my speed with them so it'll all just fit in like a puzzle piece, nice and smooth.

Invariably, there's always one driver who speeds up at the last second and breaks the chain. I've been flipped off more times than I care to count by 4-wheelers that think I'm being an ### and not letting them ahead of me.

But you're right, it doesn't matter what you're driving... Personal vehicle or semi.

camionneur Thanks this.
  6. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    I just double down on going slow and give them a 1/4 mile following distance so I can merge at the speed limit (if possible). Wouldn't want to be at fault for attempting to merge at 30 in a 60, because I didn't give my vehicle enough time to speed up (they didn't, that's for sure).

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  7. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    "Tell me why, I don't like Mondays"... actually I do, since a lot of drivers seem to call in sick that day, it has to be close to half the workforce, judging by traffic.

And I've determined that the meeting on merging occurred in the ladies room, maybe they fell in on the weekend... "sorry, I can't come in today, you know I'm already in!"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  8. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    People get dangerously competetive about stoplights, like today I took a left from an offramp, with car behind me, the next light changes yellow as I enter its intersection, then red as I go under it, and that car, two seconds after it was red, goes through in the other lane, just to pass (and I wasn't obscuring their view). Happens with metered lights for onramps too, ones that alternate, if mine changes before theirs, they run the red to get ahead (and they have nowhere to go but into slow traffic, or another stoplight). Somehow I don't think they'd pull this if my truck wasn't there, I don't see it happening in my car. It must drive them crazy. I wasn't even turning slow (maybe it's because I turned faster, that happens in my car, I'll get 10 seconds ahead on a turn, and the car behind me will do 20 over to catch up in a straight away, or someone will fly by me on the shoulder if I'm beginning to merge before them in a truck). I'm just maintining the speed limit myself, hopefully they don't kill anyone.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Vilhiem Thanks this.
  9. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    Hopefully they dont kill anyone but themselves. :rolleyes:

10. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    But dead men tell no tales...

I wouldn't want them to die, because then they wouldn't be able to tell of their stupidity.

11. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    Good point. I am a firm believer though that in some way, shape or form stupidity should be painful!

91B20H8 and Vilhiem Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.