Sept 2016 Roehl School Appleton

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by Bfennell, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Bfennell

Bfennell Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Indiana
    Week 1

Started day after Labor day. Tuesday was strictly new person paperwork at the Roehl facility.
    Wednesday we got in trucks, most had 3 students and 1 instructor. one in the group only has 2 students.
    We had 9 students on the list, one was a no show. Got stung by a bee 5 minutes after going outside to the trucks. My 2 co-students neither had driven manual ever, they got to learn first. I got to go last, was slightly ahead of them, double clutch threw me way off. They thought I was doing much better than them, mentally I wasn't thinking so. Stayed at the facility and just used their track.

Thursday was a bit of a change, instructors swapped out. They have partime instructors and full time. In truck training is at Fox Valley Tech. Some of the instructors are Roehl trainers others are from Fox Valley.Instructor we had from Wed did not come in he got stung in eye by bee. They are out in force this week. Swapped instructors. Went thru the school course for the morning so he could get a feel fro where we were each at. then we went to a local industrial park for some low traffic training for rest of afternoon.
    I swear we are in Canada Eh! the instructors all have a northern accent that is pronounced.

Friday morning started right away at industrial park, in afternoon we started there again. My co-students went around 2 laps then he sent them into some light traffic over to another industrial park. My turn I seemed to have stepped back in progress, nearly hit 2 vehicles in turns. Very frustrated, struggled with down shifts. Instructor kept me in park 1 did not advance past go. Very bummed, went to Planet Fitness and took out my frustration.

Saturday was spent at Roehl facility with safety classes and videos and paperwork. Laundry can be done there for free. Hotel has a set of machines $1 to wash and $1 to dry. At training had a video about detention pay., they do pay it after 2 and half hours, You do have to complete paperwork to receive it. It is NOT dependent on if the company is able to bill the shipper or receiver, just have to follow the steps for logging and paperwork.

Great hotel, breakfast provided. Lunches and dinners are from a sub sandwich franchise. Great subs, but gets old really quick. We are told that those are the only meals unless we buy our own. Yes they are free, and when I read previous posts complaining I thought what the heck. Now I know.

Feel free to ask questions.

elvisman13 and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bfennell

Jun 21, 2016
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

The favorite sandwich place of Roehl Appleton

4. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Yummy! And I am sure by now you are very familiar with the Denny's menu! Remember, truckers get a 10% discount!

5. SidewaysBentHalo

SidewaysBentHalo Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Nice write up. You have to shrug off all the mishaps like missing gears or shorting turns. Only thing it will do is get you to mess up more if you let it get under your skin. Remember slow is control when turning.

Best video explaining how the manuals work. Gives a guide for downshifting as well. Its all about timing and finesse.

elvisman13 and BigGrumpy Thank this.
  6. Bfennell

Jun 21, 2016
    Indiana
    WEEK 2
    Monday I was still struggling bad with down shift, so Tuesday morning they switched me from a Fox Valley instructor to a Roehl instructor. Little different teaching method and I got better.

Started learning backing up Wednesday, put alot fo time into that, frankly I dont think I improved on the 90 at all. My left thigh was throbbing from holding the clutch so much during backing practice.

We drove to Lambeau Field on Friday. Instructor stayed with the truck, we couldnt get the truck all that close. So we walked about half mile to stadium and walked around taking pics. Mind you i grew up just outside of Chicago as a Bears fan, so my going along was peer pressure. SO we start walking back and drip drip drip the rain starts. started trotting but it didnt help got soaked. Curse you Packers!
    Btw....Green Bay is the smallest city that hosts a NFL team. It blew my mind seeing houses on 2 sides of the stadium.

They pulled a week 1 student because he had difficulty listening and following directions. I think it was a slow connection, he could listen but just not fast enough to react. He looked like Garth from Waynes World, kinda sounded like him too.

Again same sub sandwiches from Erbert and Gerbert. 1st world problems right! lol

They had driver appreciation day at the terminal, so we all ditched the Erberts for real food. they also handed out Roehl flashlights to everyone at the dinner. Got to talk with a few drivers while we were at terminal. The guy with 4 weeks out on the road was all set to give us advice on our careers in trucking.

Thursday and Friday were longer drives out into less populated areas. Instructor said we will be focused on in town next week as well as getting down backing up. I have to be careful i tend to single clutch and he warned me that's a problem on the test.

Hard to comprehend that in less than week and half we will be graduating and be headed out. Testing starts on next Tuesday and typically 4th week students leave on Thursday. They did say sometimes there is a short delay between graduation and getting lined up with a driver trainer.
    First payday is this coming Thursday, everyone looking forward to having money to buy food to not eat the subs.

Saturday at the terminal we had some explanation of using an Atlas and brief overview of internal communication, but was pretty glossed over as instructor stated don't worry your trainer will fill you in.

We stopped at a truck stop on one of the short trips, then it occurred to me this may be a bad career choice considering my hatred for cheap toilet paper. All kidding aside, cant decide if I am more scared or excited that in 1 and half weeks they deem me fit to drive with a potentially 80k lb machine.

This week my confidence was building, last week I was the most unsure of myself in my entire life, even more than trying to talk to a woman for a first date. Feels like falling into place, just cant compare my skills against others. Especially when I know some of them had some form of heavy duty driving equipment before CDL school.

I did go to wally world and buy a matchbox semi truck to try to use for help with angels of backing up.

To clear up some confusion, from day 1 at the training facility they provide lunch and dinner even on weekends. Some people were under the impression that weekends they were on their own. First week you are provided with a shuttle to training from the hotel, 2nd week you are highly encouraged to drive yourself. if you take a bus, train or pane in. there are plenty of students who did drive in that you can ride with.

If you started the process of CDL permit a while back, check your dates on the permit, one guy had to get a new permit, which pushed him back 2 weeks because the law sayd you cannot test unless 14 days has passed from time of receiving permit, getting a new permit set the clock back.

Medical stuff, so a few people hasd issues with their medical conditions. Roehl arranged with a company to send you to get your DOT physical, (Lab1?) Lab1 sends you to Urgent Care or Physician Care or what every place near you has a DOT medical examiner. You do a drug screen and physical, which is send to Lab1. Lab1 verifies info and checks to see if more details are needed on any medical condition or medications you might be taking. Well it turns out once that is done a safety/medical officer at Roehl relooks at it. Which may cause more paperwork to be needed from your primary physician to explain your condition or medications. So you may have more hoops once you get to training.

The pool and hot tub are nice at the hotel. Breakfast is provided every morning. You will have to fill out a form for choosing your lunch/dinner sandwiches. Make sure you are filling out all the sheets the clip board will hold sheets for the whole week, not just one day. Fox Valley facility is 5 minutes away from the hotel and the terminal at best 15 away. Pretty easy to find everything. NO smoking at Fox Valley for you smokers, figure a plan ahead of time.

I found brought more clothes and things then needed, will pare that down before going with the trainer. You will go home after CDL school then get your license from your state, So you will have a few days before you start with trainer.

If you drive to training, you will get .11 cents per mile reimbursed, paid on week 3.

Thats alI remember for week 2, will add more if it comes to me.

1278PA and SidewaysBentHalo Thank this.
  7. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Thanks for the detailed information. I looked on their website and it says they send you for a physical in your home state before you head out to a training location and start everything. I guess they changed that? That's a far drive home for me if i don't pass i live in PA about 1,000 miles away from WI. Makes more sense to do the physical here in my home area.

8. Bfennell

Jun 21, 2016
    Indiana
    You do a DOT physical at home. But depending if you have a condition or meds it may get futher reviewed later by Roehls med department.
    Also there is a physical abilities test. I think there is a video on Roehl site. Tjat test is done during school day 1. Squats,pulling, lifting, pushing and all tied to blood pressure and rate. Not bad unless you already have high blood pressure.

9. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    That physicals test was more scary for us older guys than it was challenging. The only part I had to go rogue on was the "let's see if you can get up into a trailer" test.....Kid doing the test wanted me to do it "flat belly" style. "Kid, my center of gravity is different than yours......but I got up there didn't I?" Same with the "Let's see if you can get under there and check the 5th wheel locking jaws" test. That table is lower than most trailers. Don't try that one after a heavy bowl of Lima beans!:p
    If I could do it....most anybody can!

MaxTrucks Thanks this.
  10. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
    Man, thanks for the in depth write up! I'll forgive your football transgressions. 'Da Bearzs... still....lol.
    Now that Halvor ghosted me I submitted my app to Roehl tonight.

Curious, are there no decent paid driving gigs in Northern Illinois? I live in Southern Wisconsin and we obviously have a few. Still enjoying the job BFennell?

Thanks!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.