Settlement sheets and paycheck stubs

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Jes15, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Jes15

Jes15 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2015
    My fiancé is a driver for a small company in rural minnesota. The owner is a farmer and has a cattle feedlot as well as commercial trucks. They haul grain, fertilizer and my fiancé hauls gluten feed. In the past year and a half we have only gotten 5 pay stubs and I've had to beg for them. Supposedly another driver says you have to go online to see the stubs but no one has given us the information even though he has asked repeatedly. He has also NEVER received a settlement sheet, when he's asked about getting them he's told they don't do that. They also never tell him what the loads pay, he is supposed to get 25% but it's hard to know what he's getting paid if no amount is given. When he asks what a load pays he's told quote "oh, it pays da**good!" And that is it. My question is, are companies required to give settlement sheets and tell the drivers what they are making on the loads, even if they are small? I know it's illegal not to give pay stubs but we just aren't sure how to deal with this. Every other company he's worked for he has gotten stubs and settlement sheets every payday. Thank you for your help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mp4694330

mp4694330 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Welcome to the Forum!

Did he received W-2 or 1099 form at the end of the year?

4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Is he a sub-contractor or payrolled employee?

5. Jes15

Jes15 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Yes he got w-2. Just a mystery what his checks are until they are deposited and no idea what he made for the year and paid in for taxes until the w-2 at year end.

6. Jes15

Jes15 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Hes a a payrolled employee.

7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Why doesn't he just go to the person who handles payroll and ask them if they can at least provide a monthly settlement statement?

8. Jes15

Jes15 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2015
    The company has their tax preparer do payroll, the owners wife emails him the gross information and he figures everything out. I don't know if they would give my fiancé the information. I know he emails the owner the stubs, they just don't give them to my fiancé.

9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Settlement statements are easy to provide using any payroll software program. Just ask the person preparing the payroll to email a copy, pretty easy to do and not much to ask or expect from any legitimate employer. Good luck.

10. Jes15

Jes15 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Thank you, will call on Monday and see if they will give him the information.

11. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    "The owner has a feedlot and is a farmer in rural Mn." I think that answers your question. Not very business minded.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.