Share your Crete orientation/otr training with me??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by vintage_cowgirl, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    My every post is about Swift? Who's talking out of his ### here?

Keep on skipping. It's now obvious you wouldn't understand my posts anyway, boys.

Come on...enough of the high school games. This ol' boy isn't going anywhere.

If I even mention SwiftQuit in any of my posts, it's because anything I say about that outfit is well deserved. Unfortunately, what I say is negative. But I'm not all alone, even though that is what you're trying to make me appear to be. I know I'm not alone. You can read all about Swift here. Go ahead. Take the time and dig a bit. You can skip mine and still have a full plate.

I feel like Nixon here. Remember the silent majority?

Auf wiedersehen.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LostBoy

LostBoy Light Load Member

May 8, 2007
    davenport iowa
    regarding age, you dont have to be 22.

21 years old, and graduated from a school that isnt a total joke, and get through there prehire process. get ready to remember where youve worked for the last 10 years, no seriously. youll also need hazmat, save reciepts crete pays you back for it.

i like em, ive recruited 3 people since ive been on my own, 2 got hired on.
    do your research and go to work for a company that suits you.

4. fastSVT

fastSVT Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Louisiana

Nevermind...edit

5. evertruckerr

evertruckerr Heavy Load Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is a response to longbedGT's PM.

He wants to now why he has been waiting 5 days for a trainer.

Waiting time for a trainer is really a crap shoot.

Crete only has about 140 trainer, so we are limited from that prospective.

South Ga is usually a good place to get a trainer because it's a heavy freight lane.

The biggest problem your probably facing now is that Thanks Giving and Christmas are just around the corner and allot of trainers want to be home with their families and they aren't taking on trainees because they don't want to strand them on the truck(by that I mean in a hotel) while taking home time. I personally am not taking on a student until after Christmas.

Hang in there, it's worth the wait.

Good luck and Drive safe.

6. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas

Ah, very good reason right there. Thanksgiving. I will continue to wait. Thanks for the response!

7. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    I second that.

However, at Crete or any other good outfit, having to wait on a trainer should be no surprise, so I guess it really wouldn't be a crap shoot overall. If you go to work at some outfits, expect to wait on a trainer. Anyone who wonders why it takes so long to get one at these companies is someone who's not worked for a company like CCC in the past.

At some companies, a driver with only 6 months' experience is allowed to be a trainer, so you won't have long to wait on one. But do you really want to work for such an outfit? Please say NO. You'd be a fool to hire on at a company that allows drivers who are barely done with training wheels to be trainers. If you're a wet-behind-the-ears rookie, you may be trained by someone who was in turn trained by somebody with less than a year's experience. Why would you want to do that?

Wait, wait, wait, and then wait some more on a trainer at Crete if you have to do that. You'll come out ahead in the long run. After you see the Swift wrecks on the road, you'll conclude you're probably coming out ahead in the short run, too. This is because you would be.

8. Av8ist

Av8ist Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Macon,MO
    I talked to Heather the other day a recruiter at Crete. She basically reaffirmed what's been said in this thread so far. The don't have a "deal" per say with any schools. But she did say they would hire a newbie fresh out of a PTDI school, or after 4-6 mos with another co.

TIP she told me one of the options and lowest priced schools was there in Lincoln, NE she said it was under $1,000. If I had the $$ I'd run over there in a heartbeat. But alas I'm going to Swift. But my cousin is going to be my trainer, hes been there a few years or so, plus my uncle has been there over 12 years

9. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    It seems they were waiting on a driver to take me on the road test, and me to finish what was left of the paperwork. All is well now and I leave in a few days with the trainer. :yes2557:

10. deacon883

deacon883 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm home for thanksgiving, lucky break on the timing, but I've just finished my first four weeks of training with Crete. Like alot of you folks, I did my research before I settled on Crete. The trainer I have is top-notch. Hey, Wopping Wild, did you report your trainer to Safety? If you didn't, you are doing all future students a grave dis-service. My trainer has always been in the passenger seat when I was driving, even when I put in a 500 mile day.
    I've had to unlearn alot of what I was taught at my Community College program. Trainer assures me that it will all come together during the final weeks of training. One of the factors that influenced my decision to go with Crete was the fact that training is 8 weeks long. I have been a teacher myself, and I believe that in order to be set up for success, the process needs to be as thorough as possible. My humble advice to all is to give Crete a try, if you can get on.

11. deacon883

deacon883 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hey, I need to do a little self-editing here. My last post referred to a post by Woppin Wild. It was NOT posted by Woppin Wild. The post was written by mycorky. It was about her trainer with Crete. My apologies....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.