Shifter mounted cruise control conversion.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Buddorning, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Buddorning

Buddorning Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2016
    I need some help. I have a 1999 peterbilt 379exhd 3406E cat 18spd tranny. It has the cruise control switches mounted on the shifter from factory. Im trying to convert it back to the dash style. My problem is that the factory on/off switch recepticle is missing the side post ground wire, and the set/resume switch recepticle is not there. There is only 4 wires that were plugged into the wire harness for the shifter mounted switches, 3 of which are hot and one is ground.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hum.

Double pole bottom off. So one is a toggle to turn on or off the overall cruise and the other should be a spring toggle where you can flip it to increase your speed in 1 mph incretments.

I have made a wild shot in the dark here. Toggles for a dash should be drilled in and perhaps wires run to them. I don't see why not? Maybe a dealership shop can do this way better than a shadetree like msyelf would do.

I myself would love the cruise on the stick, in addition to over or under drive and high/low and mid range shifting splitter.

4. Buddorning

Buddorning Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2016
    The factory harness is already there, but the wiring is all jumbled up.

5. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567
    You have the same as I do with my Sterling. I made it that far, and haven't experimented any more.

My thought is an on/off switch for one hot wire and ground, then momentary on / momentary on. The wiring up part will be tricky, unless it was a single pole?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.