Should I leave out this job reference?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by longhairdontcare, Sep 5, 2016.

1. longhairdontcare

longhairdontcare Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Ok, so at one point a couple of years ago, I got hired at another job. One was retail and the other was a small business. I was working both of them at the same time. I only worked at the small business for 1 week and was fired for smoking weed. My question is, should I leave that reference out of my employment history? That business did send me a w2 for like $150

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Include all work..

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't mention smoking weed. Deny it. The company that fired you isn't supposed to mention it either.

ramblingman Thanks this.
  5. Arbiter

Arbiter Bobtail Member

May 12, 2016
    As long as you didn't fail a drug test. Omit the job reference, I do it all the time. Don't exclude any DOT regulated driving jobs. That won't work. The processors working for recruiters at the different companies will catch that.

The real important thing is that you make a good first impression with your first company out of school. If not, companies will start slapping your DAC with black marks which significantly reduces your employability. So, if you can, be careful who you sign on with when you first start. There's a lot more to it than just driving. Initially you've got your trainers to deal with. Please understand, if your personalities don't mesh then you could just as well not know how to start the truck. You're going to start at the bottom and remember its not what you know but who you know and how you make people feel that really matters here. As a result ### kissing is really important. That's all anyone really wants anyway. And then you have your dispatch people to deal with. Don't get pushy with the loads or they'll put you at the bottom of the list - intentionally or otherwise.

Try finding someone credible whose opinion you trust to advise you on where to start and even do the same with the driving schools. Even these aren't created equal. Don't pay from them upfront I seen numerous instances where more skilled individuals chose worse schools and had careers ruined by lousy schools. Not everyone knows how to teach. There's a lot of g@#d$%^ b#!!$&%^ in this industry and after a year of driving trucks I don't.sympathize for the problems companies are facing.

6. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Yes I would put it on my application that I was a great worker and I would have been CEO my now! However, I got fired for smoking weed.:biggrin_25520:

Sublime and RedRover Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.