Shut Down for ABS Light?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Flyin' Eyeball, May 3, 2008.

1. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    THAT's what I was trying to say!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slopoke1966

slopoke1966 Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Cleveland,Tn.
    Write it up and keep a copy for yourself,if they don't fix it take your copy to safety director,if DOT writes it they only have so many days to fix it anyway.If you've had the time to talk to a mechanic about the problem they've had enough time to fix the sensor

4. nyc truck inspector

nyc truck inspector Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2008
    ny ny
    abs light on stesdy in the cab or trailer is a violation . 393.55 . states all cmv after a certain date must have a working abs system . yours does not work if the light is on . it is not an out of service violation .if you think the officer is being petty , why wouldnt your company fix such a petty thing . i used to drive for a living so i like to issue the company not the driver the violation to remind them petty violations need fixin too .i remember bieng told to drive the truck or go home so i know what you guys go through . now i have no problem writing the violations and telling them to fix it .its also pretty funny when they get the bill for the tow truck .

5. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

I don't get a ABS light for the tractor. I only get them for the trailer and its off and on. The way I figure it, the issue is on the trailer side...and Im not a mechanic so I have no idea what could be causing the issue. The brakes work perfectly fine, just the ABS light comes on. Well if the air is going through the system well enough to apply the brakes...whats causing the ABS light issue?

6. DannyB

DannyB Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Jackson Mi
    I just went through a roadside DOT inspection a couple of weeks ago in Pa. And the trailer ABS warning light was on. No OOS, no ticket. It was noted on the inspection report but he didn't say anything about it.
    Of course, the fact that I told him about it before he actually seen it and explained that I had just come from the shop trying to get a mechanic to look at it might have swayed him from any action.

7. TrooperRat

TrooperRat Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    ABS light on more-often-than-not means a sensor is dirty and needs cleaned. The instructions themselves say that if that light is on, it isn't work and please get it fixed at your next stop, earliest convenience, whatever it says. In other words, not the end of the world.

8. Highballin

Highballin Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Cleveland Texas
    Not sure what wires you mean.Some newer trailers have a yellow lite like a clearance lite on the left rear corner of trailer so driver can see it.This lite stays on if ABS in working ok.

9. nyc truck inspector

nyc truck inspector Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2008
    ny ny
    trailer light or tractor light , if it is illuminated your abs is not working properly .the light on the side of the trailer is supposed to come on and then go off when starting the truck if it stays lit your abs on trailer is not working . issued summons to one company for it and ran into him 2 weeks later . his fix to this problem was to place electrical tape over the light .

10. witchwaywest

witchwaywest Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Monroe New York
    The CVSA adopted and approved a rulemaking on ABS lights on 7/01/08.It is now an out-of-service violation.It is now part of the North American Standard inspection criteria.Fmcsa set a standard earlier,revised in 2001,for the ABS malfunction indicator light but it was not an out-of -service violation until this year.That rule can be found under 49 CFR 571.121.If you need more guidance you can search CVSA under rulemaking for ABS lights.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
    otterinthewater and Baack Thank this.
  11. ironeagle2006

ironeagle2006 Road Train Member

Also if you are in a accident and your COMPANY knew that the ABS was not working and did not FIX it they better be will ing to tell your insurance company GET OUT THE CHECK BOOK. Any Lawyer will be able to pull the maintance records of the equipment in an accident and make them feel like a bunch of idiots for not fixing it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.