Simple ant queston

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Eager Driver, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Eager Driver

Eager Driver Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2016
    I've been looking but can't find the answer. Does it matter what kind of ant you have as long as the swr is in check? I have a 2015 cascadia and just bought a 29 Ltd classic. I'm using the stock ant that comes with the truck some where on the roof I think but after playing with the settings how the owners manuel says to people say they hear me Crystal clear but I don't think I'm getting out far. My swr on Chan 1 is about 1.2 and Chan 40 is 1.5. So would adding a huge ant and getting my swr re set up able me to communicate farther or would it be the same since my swr is pretty good? thanks

bored silly Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016
    radios only get out and receive but so far..... it will cost you $$$ to buy a big antenna the mirror mount bracket and 15'or18' of co ax... I'd leave it alone and keep my $$$ in my pockets

4. Eager Driver

Apr 28, 2016
    That's what I was thinking but I want to at least get out a few miles and I don't think I do

5. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016
    you should be able to get out 3/4 miles... depends on the radio and how good the receive sensitivity is...

Eager Driver Thanks this.
  6. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    A cheap upgrade would be .....get the radio peaked and tuned, add a single pole 48 inch ant w/ wiring and mount, do not use dual factory install. Antennas can steal output power amps due to resistance. Make sure you you install the correct wiring rated for the radio. Ask a good tech to boost the mod and set the dead key. You could basically double the output from 4 watts to 10 watts and get out to 6 to 8 mile. What you really need is called head room! This is enough enough power to have clean distortion free broadcast power on the output circuit. As for better reception, that is dependant on the quality of the antenna and receiver.

thus a CB is a Transceiver. two in one. Lastly, you need a really good mic, one that cancels noise. Also, get talk back installed with an external speaker....so you can hear both transmit and recieve better.

You can do all this for under $250.00 and have fun building your system depending on your needs and budget. BTW, there is nothing wrong with the factory gear when used only for traffic updates.

Buyer beware, you'll waste a lot of time & money if you don't know what you are buying.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Eager Driver Thanks this.
  7. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Scroll down on page and read all the posts under the thread Cascadia Antenna Solutions, and after doing so decide if it will be worth it to upgrade antenna system from stock. I drive a 2016 cascadia, and the reason I hooked up a different antenna system is because with the stock system the swr was reading 3.5+ and that just isnt good.

bored silly and Eager Driver Thank this.
  8. Eager Driver

Apr 28, 2016
    Thanks for the response but one reason I asked about the ant upgrade is because I've read that a few people went to get there radio peaked and tuned and it sounded like crap then goes up in smoke shortly after. I don't want to radio to show 20w of power so people can go uuu ahh I just want to get down the road a little bit with it. Do you think I can't achieve about two miles with a good ant and tuning it my self?

DustyRoad Thanks this.
  9. Eager Driver

Apr 28, 2016
    Thanks will do like I said before my numbers are in a fair range but I confirmed it today I'm only getting out 3/4 of a mile which sucks.

10. Eager Driver

Apr 28, 2016
    You are right only 3/4 of a mile right now

11. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    go into the truck stop and but the antennae mount built exclusively for the Cascadia. buy an antennae mount, an antennae and some coax. should be under $150. you'll be shocked as to how much better your radio will perform with just this simple upgrade!

Eager Driver and wolverine11 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.