Simple ant queston

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Eager Driver, Oct 24, 2016.

1. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    To give you some insight, I run a stock OTB Bearcat 980, deadkeys about 3.5 watts pep swing around 14 watts and I average 6 to 10 miles with my antenna setup. Not to long ago my swr was high so until I could address the situation( ended up needing new coax) I hooked my radio up to stock antenna and the furthest contact I made was about 2 to 3 miles, and I heard a base station about 7 miles away, so I cast my vote for different antenna setup over the integrated stock one.

Eager Driver and DustyRoad Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    If a radio has been tuned correctly ( or better just left stock) it will still sound good on stock antenna its just that the transmit and recieve range will be limited. I was driving through Montana today and was carrying on a conversation with another driver in a cascadia with built in antenna and his stock cobra 29 ltd sounded great its just that when he was about 3 miles ahead of me ( he had a faster truck) he started to fade, probably the only reason I could still hear him at that distance is because of my antenna setup.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Reason for edit: Spelling
    slim6596 and Eager Driver Thank this.
  4. Eager Driver

Eager Driver Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2016

5. Eager Driver

Apr 28, 2016
    Wow that's nice like I said I'm all stock and can't get a response from anyone over a mile away which leads me to believe they can't hear me till 3/4 of a mile. I'll try the mount with at least a 4ft single ant maybe 5 if I can find one and see what that does for me. I had a driver tell me his stock cobra 29 reaches 12 miles with stock dual ant Idk how true that is but it's impressive.

6. Eager Driver

Apr 28, 2016
    Will do I'll end up getting good ant and coax tune it as best I can to my knowledge and see what it does.

7. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    I would defintely recommend at least a 5' antenna like a Firestick or a Wilson silverload with adjustable screw on top so you can get the lowest swr reading, Petro and TA and some CB shops normally have the 5 footers. I use a Siro twin log 5 footer with adjustable tip, that I bought at cb shop in Richmond Hill GA on I 95 exit 86, and it works really well, swr about 1.5 and transmit and recieve really good.

8. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    Any CB will come stock (out of the box) with 4 watts RMS output - per FCC rules on Civilian Broadcast.

The output Transistors are valves on the RF output power amp.They can be turned up " peaked " but then you risk frying them if there is a mismatched load ( ohms) on them caused by poorly manufactured wiring or Antenna. Thus, I said take the time to learn the how to do it yourself install, for maximum performance.

Here is a review....

Trucker antennas have their coil located in the plastic housing, usually located near the bottom portion of the antenna.

APPROXIMATE RANGE: 7 TO 10 MILES
    Transmit and receive range will vary dramatically based on conditions and the mounting location of the antenna. While trucker antennas will often range slightly in height between 45" and 60", a rough range of 7 to 10 miles is a good approximation of what you'll see from most models.

"With hundred of antennas on the market, it can be overwhelming trying to determine which one is best for your vehicle."

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/selection-guides/18542007-choosing-the-best-cb-antenna

rabbiporkchop and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  9. Eager Driver

Apr 28, 2016
    Yea soon as pay day comes around again I'll grab me a 5ft or longer and see what I can get out of it I'm a do it your self type of guy so well see how good I can get this to work for Me thanks for the help

DustyRoad Thanks this.
  10. Eager Driver

Apr 28, 2016
    Thanks that's some good info there will definitely give you all an update when I upgrade

wolverine11 and DustyRoad Thank this.
  11. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Bob's a really good guy at the shop in Richmond hill ........

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.