Siskiyou Summit, Interstate 5, Oregon

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Code Red NV, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Code Red NV

Code Red NV Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I know this is an odd question about a very specific stretch of road, but I've run this a couple of times now and would like clarification on something, if anyone else runs this road.

I-5 through the Siskiyou Summit is two lanes, and a solid white line over on the shoulder. I found a picture of it on the web.

[​IMG]

I assume that is the shoulder because it's a solid white line, never broken.

But, because the shoulder is wide enough to be a full lane, other trucks run in it. I don't because, as I've said, I assume that it's the shoulder, and not a real traffic lane.

I ran this today, I was heavy (75,000 lbs) and so I stayed in the 2nd lane, the slow lane. But trucks kept passing me on the right. And giving me dirty looks.

My question is, should I have been over onto the shoulder? Is that a proper lane to run in?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That beat up guard rail answers your question. That's the shoulder, not a traffic lane.

4. Giuseppe Ventolucci

Giuseppe Ventolucci Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2015
    My family go there every summer for camping. DO NOT USE THAT LANE. Unless you plan on killing a parked car ahead of the curve or a bicyclist

Lepton1, driverdriver and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    DO NOT USE THAT #### SHOULDER. *SLAPS so you remember this.

Stay in the proper right hand lane and easy does it until you get through this. So what if they give you dirty looks. They are too stupid to understand that gaurd rail breaks very easy and poor them.

Mountain work is a joy to me but I cannot stand people who don't do it correct.

The yellow to the left and the white lines to the right, that is your road. ANY excess pavement you see or think you see beyond these two lines is just real estate that can be worked with in situations such as a breaking down.

That is a very good image of that 5. Brings back some good rememberings. Although I ran it mostly in winter and want it covered in white to get it for me.

Dave_in_AZ and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Im parked up at siskiyou summit as i type this. But anyway, most drivers do use that lane to climb. The state troopers aint worried about it so i hear. By using that lane it keeps slow trucks from getting out in the hammer lane where a texting 4 wheeler might slam into the back of em'. Dont use it where the guard rail narrows.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    LindaPV and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Back in the day we used it pulling the grade with 4 ways on. These days I don't know. Way to many idiots. Trucks passed you on the right. That's bold. Good thing you didn't have a cb on. Probably would of got an earful. Anyway, you drive your truck and don't worry about how they drive theirs.

Giuseppe Ventolucci and LindaPV Thank this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    So you're running up the shoulder, broke down vehicle on shoulder and same texting four wheeler is running your side and won't let you out.
    Not as bad uphill but down hill you're f'ed.
    Stay on the road driver.
    Safe driving, is safe....
    Good luck.

speedyk and 6daysontheroad Thank this.
  9. LindaPV

LindaPV Medium Load Member

I observed that as an Oregon thing, climbing only, as a courtesy to lighter trucks. Oregon runs triples, and they can move slow. Unless you're doing more than 30mph under the speed limit, deal with the proper slow lane.

Bean Jr., double yellow and rachi Thank this.
  10. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I see it on hwy 14 in WA. Ya mostly 5 south of Salem or is it Medford.

LindaPV Thanks this.
  11. 3031

3031 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2011
    It's always awkward because everyone does it but there's no sign saying "shoulder driving allowed" like I've seen in some other states. I'm more comfortable doing it southbound because the shoulder there seems a lot wider.

Toomanybikes and LindaPV Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.