Skipping scales

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Harjit Singh, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Harjit Singh

Harjit Singh Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2015
    New driver here,
    I was curious about skipping scales. By which I mean not driving by them but driving around them. I'm told different things. My concern about can get get a ticket if you get pulled over even if you are in truck route?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, someone might wonder why you are on that road, as if they don't already know, and give you a roadside level one inspection.

BullJockey, TruckDuo and Harjit Singh Thank this.
  4. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    They could pull you over if they wanted to. And they will ask questions like " why are you going around" did you have a delivery here"

But a lot of places where you could go around the scale it'll either state no trucks or not truck route. Other than that you would be alright

Edit: E- beat me to it

Harjit Singh Thanks this.
  5. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Colorado says if your route takes you within 5 miles of a scale, you have to go out of your way to stop. Buncha douchebags

TheJrodTest and Blaskowitz Thank this.
  6. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    As someone who got caught driving around one, long time ago before this CSA nonsense, I'd say you'd be better off just staying within the parameters of the law. Thankfully I didn't end up paying the $1700 dollar fine. The cops/DOT are not stupid, they know the routes around the scales.

7. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    There is no law stating you must route yourself using roads with the most number of scales. There is no law saying you must take the shortest route.

You're captain of the ship, if you're on a legal truck route, they can't give you a ticket for running a scale on a different route... If you're on surface streets not meant for trucks, then you're taking a chance.

That said, there are some places where signs direct you to proceed to a port of entry on a different route. If you ignored that, you'd be both running a scale and failing to obey a traffic device...

I do know, for example, that chp sometimes sets up an inspection checkpoint on the Hooker Creek bypass around the Cottonwood, CA scales on i5. If you're under 65' there is no law against being on that road, but if you're overweight or have other violations they'll throw the book at you...

michaelg Thanks this.
  8. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    If your a ####### and make it " obvious " then yes, many tickets for you.

To be honest, I run equipment with an " in house annual approval " so most of the time coffee with Mr. DOT would render me OOS. I'll side route out west, because I know 99.5% of the time it'll be truck friendly, and the local Mounties won't think twice. However... Anything past Montana, to the east, you're better off staying on the interstate.

Why are you asking.... Rarely do green drivers want to go the extra mile to risk their careers...

9. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Yup I was trying to bypass the i25 scale in Wyoming in Cheyenne and I was going to go around and got stopped at the scale before i80 east of Cheyenne he asked me to bring my bills in. And then the lady was like of you picked up in Denver why are you coming back this way. I told her I liked the scenic route and I was on my way. I was really hoping to avoid getting checked in so I didn't have to log it.

double yellow and Harjit Singh Thank this.
  10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Don't run over weight or illegal and you won't have to worry about it.

It doesn't matter if you are on a truck route or not. If you get pulled over you can get a ticket if they find anything wrong.
    And if you get pulled over, they WILL look for something wrong.

Duh!

11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If you're ever stopped and asked, just say "booty call".

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.