Sleep apnea

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LooneyTune, Sep 17, 2009.

1. LooneyTune

LooneyTune Just plain nuts

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    No, it isn't designed to for a stomach sleeper... I sleep mainly on my side. But you can end up damaging the mask or tubing by sleeping on your stomach I would think.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    They have so many different types of masks available any more, that I wouldn't want to bet they don't have on for a stomach sleeper. Probably some type of nasal tubing.

Of course with some folks, they could probably use an anal mask...:biggrin_25523:

4. LooneyTune

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    Anal mask is for the politicians. :biggrin_2559:

5. Chickenbone

Chickenbone Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Florida
    Been on the Cpap over a year and sleep much better with it.I get up every morning and log in my stats just like a log book with hours slept and apneas and stuff in case i get in a collision on the job and it;s brought out i have sleep apnea,the log shows it's under control.I also have a downloadable machine that i can take in the stats if it;s called into question that i am using it. But i must say obce you get tuned into using the machine,it would be really hard to sleep without it.Bought a backup Cpap and got the connections to run in the truck

6. LooneyTune

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    Yes I'm used to sleeping with the cpap now as well. I forgot to put it on one night and didn't sleep with a darn... mine has all the downloadable stuff as well. I'll need that readout when I got to renew my physical as the doctor will want to see that I am using it.

7. truckerdad57

truckerdad57 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    Check the FMCSA - medical review board web site...Jan 2008 meeting minutes where the Medical Review Board issued "guidelines" for medical examiners giving DOT physicals on when to require a sleep study.

Many DOT examiners while not required to follow the guidelines have begun to require sleep studies on all drivers with a BMI of 30 or greater.

A big problem is that since FMCSA has not made this a regulation it puts drivers into the trick bag of doctor shopping for a medical examiner...

There is a rule in the rule making process to create a nationwide listing on certified medical examiners that would have to be trained and use the FMCSA guidelines when giving exams so. the problem of IA and other states not being standardized may end...

8. beboppinbigun1

beboppinbigun1 Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Hernando,MS
    i have been using a cpap machine for several years now, i am planning on going otr. can anyone give me some info on machines that work well in the truck. i currently use a respironics with humidifer, but it does not seem to travel well. every time i have gone on a trip with vacations and visiting relatives, not the rigors of a semi, it has stopprd working properly. Even one time when i was in the hospital for surgery whithin week it started acting up. maybe i am just hard on them lol. any recomendations would be helpful thanks

9. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    I've got a Resmed...in fact, it's two years today that I've been using it.

I don't use the humidifier on the road, only the air. I've dropped it once on a wood floor, it's traveled to Hawaii once and Los Angeles twice (by air), and has operated flawlessly for the entire time. My wife has essentially the same unit at home and it's been perfect.

beboppinbigun1 Thanks this.
  10. LooneyTune

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    I have a respironics and it works well for me on the road... wonder if it's because of it's age? The new ones work well in a semi. Check their website, they have several that will work I think

beboppinbigun1 Thanks this.
  11. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Actually, there IS a bit of a basis for the check-on-move test. When you move a substantial distance - as you did- you are likely also changing altitude. That equates to a change in the partial pressure for oxygen. That can (and frequently does) lead to a change in breathing/sleeping habits. A re-test (by a reputable organization) is in order.

Myself, I was diagnosed with apnea by National Jewish Hospital in Denver. Before I ever drove a truck. Fortunately, my insurance covered the $1200 for the test, and the $1500 for the bi_PAP. I pay (by choice) for my consumables out of pocket.

I use the machine religiously - I can definitely feel the difference if I don't. At lower altitudes, the difference is minimal, but in higher elevations, the way I feel the next day is significantly different.

I have no beef at all with being required to use the machine if I want to continue driving.

In fact, it seems to me that the biggest issue here is twofold - dealing with less-than-reputable testing/supply organizations (they should always be completely separate), and the expense.

It's only been a year since my last test, so I can't see the cost difference I've seen mentioned here being related to inflation. It does, indeed, look like somebody is taking advantage of the market. I'd suggest that the best course of action might be to check with local hospitals and respiratory therapists for a recommended testing facility. When you find one, see if you can work out a payment schedule with them (can't hurt to try). Heck, they may even have a department set up just to deal with the issue.

you don't need to go to [insert name here] for a brand-new, never been used, take the plastic off and run machine. It's not as though these things are invasive, after all. They sit on your night stand and pump air at you. Even exhalations don't (typically) enter the machine.

Get a recommendation from your testing facility, or local respiratory therapist, and see if that device is available on places like ebay or craigs list. Replace/buy mask,tubing, etc, and you are good to go. Odds are, the cost will be a LOT less than buying new from a supplier.

Live with that for a few months, until your insurance kicks in, THEN, see about maybe getting a new machine. If you feel the need.

Another thing to think about: some machines keep rather detailed records. For instance, my therapist calls every 4 months. I push a few buttons, read off some numbers, and she knows A) the amount of time I've been wearing it (and can, therefore, get a good idea if i've been a good boy), and B) whether the settings are doing me any good. On occasion, she's had me adjust the settings based. No need for another $1200 (or more) visit to the sleep lab.

LooneyTune Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.