Sleep apnea

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LooneyTune, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Well, when I was tested, I was tested in Phoenix. However at that time, I was living up above Flagstaff, at the Grand Canyon. Now THAT is a big difference in elevation!

Also, most machines now do an "automatic" correct for elevation changes. Otherwise any OTR trucker using them would likely have a problem due to the constant change in locations and altitudes where they are using the machine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckerdad57

truckerdad57 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    Confirming what Big Don said.. all modern CPAP have automatic altitude adjustment.

If you have questions about sleep apnea or CPAP check.. awake.truckersforacause.com

Its a support group for truck drivers with sleep apnea.. run by drivers for drivers.

4. LooneyTune

LooneyTune Just plain nuts

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    So how are you doing with your CPAP machine? Mine has done wonders but I did notice one important thing... be careful with which type of mask you pick. I tried the one that has the pillows that up go up in your nostrils first and it was so irritating that I got one now that covers the entire nose instead... works much better.

5. hend1048

hend1048 Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2010
    How do I "Demonstrate that Apnea is controlled"? THis is one of the things required of me to pass my Physical with PAM. I have no idea what it is. THanks

6. Mastertech

Mastertech Staff Leader / Admin Staff Member Administrator

Dec 28, 2007
    3rd Rock From The Sun.
    One company my uncle worked for required him to have a sleep study done to prove his apnea was under control.

hend1048 Thanks this.
  7. hend1048

hend1048 Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Did he have it when he started working for them? How do you know if you have it without spending over 3 Grand? Is it just snoring or what?

8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Modern CPAPs have a data card that record's tons of information when you sleep. If you are being treated for sleep apnea by a good Dr you will see him every 6 months. At that time they will download the data from the card, provide you and the Doc with a printout, and prescribe any changes to the pressures you are on, That printout will suffice for the DOT Doc.

hend1048 Thanks this.
  9. UGA79

UGA79 Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Warner Robins, GA
    My husband is supposed to get a sleep study done. He got a 3 month physical card as well. IF he is told he needs a C-PAP machine, how will he be able to get a readout to get his 1 or 2 year physical card?
    Insurance kicks in Dec 1st, sleep study & new physical need to be done by 12/20th. Can this be done?

10. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    That depends on the company. I know some have sleep centers close, send you, take the costs out of your check, and when you need the 30/60/90 day readout for the physical, you'll have it. You don't mention the company, so, unless he doesn't need the CPAP, you will run into a time problem. From what you say, it sounds like you are trying to wait on insurance to kick in so it will pay for the sleep study...check very closely. Deductibles and 80/20 mean you will probably pay most of it.

11. 07-379Pete

07-379Pete Crusty Commando-Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    When has sleep apnea become apart of the DOT physical?
    If my doc tries to pull a "you need to have a sleep apnea study done" stunt that will be the last time he will ever see me in his office again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.