Sleep apnea

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LooneyTune, Sep 17, 2009.

1. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    It's on the form . Read the part on respiratory dysfunction. http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/omve/medicalreport.pdf
    Some doctors may detect a dysfunction when others do not .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 112racing

112racing Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    pocono's, pa
    you must get a cpap machine with a card reader to prove usage at least 4 hrs a night ....insert card and take to doc or wherever you got machine to read card

better get used to it or find another occupation

4. UGA79

UGA79 Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Warner Robins, GA
    It's not really a part of the physical but if a doc sees reason to refer you then they give a 3 month card and you are supposed to get one.

Can you get a new physical at a different doc before getting the sleep study though? I ask because his card expires 12/21 and insurance kicks in 12/1. I imagine the sleep study paperwork will take a few weeks. Wouldn't it make more sense to get the card then the study?

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You might be able to get a physical from another doctor . Eventually info from all physicals will be sent electronically to the state DMV and attached to the CDL . I don't know if any states have that set up yet .

6. 112racing

112racing Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    pocono's, pa
    supposed to start jan 1 2012 and will be done when you renew your cdl eventually you will not carry physical card it will be on your licence

7. 07-379Pete

07-379Pete Crusty Commando-Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Thats all ready in place in Ky. To renew your cdl you must have a currant Med card to show the clerk, they check a box on the computer, do a quick Lic check for tickets/warrants, new photo good to go for 4 more.

To the other poster that asked about going to another doctor, yeah you can....its called doctor shopping, look to you find one that will give it to you.
    If you truly have a medical problem, high blood pressure, or a sugar problem get help, this sleep apnea crap is a money grab for them and they know it. If you have sleep apnea go to another doc for treatment but dont tell them you drive truck and check the price then.
    Most any chiropractor well do a DOT physical and never say a word about apnea.

8. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    You could always get the sleep study stuff yourself from http://www.safetyfirstsleepsolutions.com/ and get a jump start on any doc wanting you to get one as part of DOT physical.

They are recognized as a legit firm by DOT. Get the sleep study stuff, do it on your own where you sleep best... truck, home, hotel, whatever. Then send back the equipment and they will send you the results.

Lot cheaper and time saving than waiting for some sleep study center lab appointment where you get to sleep in unfamiliar surroundings and with some goof ball waking you up every so often because they don't like the position you are in.

9. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Uhm no. Going to require a copy be on file and connected to your CDL.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FMCSA-1997-2210-0221

That is the extension pushing it to 2014. At that time your license will be directly tied to your physical long form on file with the State Issuing Agency.

In short not good for four more years. You'll be good to the expiration of your physical.

10. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Looking back, I think I suffered from jr. high school until I was tested after my mom was diagnosed and suggested I get tested.
    For about 15 years, I snored so loud and gasped for air that when I went camping, the other Boy Scouts made me set up my tent way out of camp b/c I would keep them awake all nite! I even woke myself up b/c I was snoring so loud.
    My DR. said he had never seen such a bad case. I would stop breathing 70-80 times an.hour. He.explained to me the stress that lack of air puts on all your bodily functions. I had constant heartburn, was developing ulcers, irregular heartbeats, headaches all the time, and always tired. I was falling asleep at stoplights, movies, all the time. What's worse is I was driving a truck for part of this time! I attributed my symptoms to a crappy lifestyle, garbage food, no excercise, etc... Not to mention, my mental state, I was a miserable SOB to live with!
    That was 14 years ago. I dont even take a 30 min nap w/o my machine now. Not that I need naps like I used to. I dont snore anymore and feel like I gained more energy. I've even lost some wieght.
    If the one you sleep with tells you snore or stop breathing, mention it to your DR. I suffered for about 25 years and now that I am getting treatment, I wonder how much different my life would have been if I'd gotten diagnosed sooner!

For the record, I don't currently drive a truck. (I hope I never have to again!)

11. Jackofalltrades1977

Jackofalltrades1977 Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Salisbury, NC
    CPAP has changed my life. I have more energy now than I'd had in the last 10. I refuse to depart with my machine and don't think trucking would even be a possibility without it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.