Sleeping bag rating for sleeping in training truck

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Konsaki, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Konsaki

Konsaki Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    As mentioned before in this forum, it seems recommended to just bring a sleeping bag for your training period.

The question I have is what rating bag should you get?

For example, I'm looking between 40* and 0* bags. With the onset of winter, can I expect the bunk to drop below freezing where I'd need the 0* bag?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Any modern truck with climate control should keep the bunks toasty. I brought one but only used it to lay on .

alghazi Thanks this.
  4. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    I have a military surplus sleeping bag that I used in training. I still use it today as a blanket.

You can get them at a great price and you will stay warm regardless of the outside temp.

5. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    If you have a bunk heater just get an INSIDE Sleeping bag, really depends on how toasty you like, I prefer to be COLD

Boattlebot and alghazi Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You just need a sleeping bag suitable for a sleepover at home.

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    A lot of trainers have problems with bunk heaters getting too hot and turn the thermostats down. In this situation in the top bunk you might get a tad cold, but not below freezing.

8. jethro712

jethro712 Medium Load Member

Aug 31, 2014
    you need a bed bug rating of at least 40, unless you know the trainer.

Bakerman, ExOTR and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Where will you be operating? If all 48 and the northern regions, a good bag is more important but only spend the extra bucks if you have them. Get the best you can afford but don't sweat the details. If you will be running all 48 when you're done training, it would be nice to have a good bag (below 0F or better) in the event of those situations you hope never happen. Would be a shame to buy a "cheap bag" now, then feel compelled to buy another better bag later.

10. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    I use a 20 degree sleeping bag but use it as a comforter because I'll roast if I zipped it up everynight. There's a big difference in price between a 20 and 0 degree bag. A 20 should be plenty warm enough for you.

texasbbqbest and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    A 40°F rated bag will be ideal. Idling with air conditioning on and you are comfortable. Don't get a bag rated for lower temperatures, if for any reason you can't idle, like the truck broke down in cold weather, you can add clothes to increase your warmth.

A good knit hat will be a good thing to bring. You can wear it when sleeping in very cold temperatures to keep you warm. The old adage of mountaineering is if your feet are cold, put your hat on. Most heat escapes from your head and neck.

I spent a few decades climbing and hiking in some cold environments and designing gear, including sleeping bags. A 40°F rated bag is in my truck, the same one I used in training. It's now part of my emergency kit, to add to the comforters and bedding if I break down in the middle of a blizzard in North Dakota. I also use it as part of my "go kit" if I have to jump in another driver's truck on a hot team load.

texasbbqbest and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.