Sleeping top bunk while driving on trainer truck

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Stanley Williams, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Stanley Williams

Stanley Williams Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Just an information questions to all trainer drivers out there.Is it against some code or law to be made to sleep in the top bunk while driving down the road.I did not like this at all and felt unsafe.And how about cell phone use without the hands free headset.I thought all this was wrong.Just asking for your thoughts.Driver just off trainer truck ready for upgrade to first seat driver.

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If the top bunk does not have restraints, it is not to be used while the truck is in motion.

Cell phone use without some sort of hands free device is also prohibited in the regulations.

4. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Well this is where you get to play stupid.. Call the safety department and ask them where the restraints on the top bunk are and then of course as if its OK if you use your cellphone while driving like your trainer...

I-80Trucker, tl385, TruckerSue and 2 others Thank this.
  5. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

He is with a PAM trainer........not surprised.

Once you get your own truck get a headset and be legal.
    I would not sleep in the upper bunk even if it had restraints!

6. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I know you are absorbing a lot right now. In your free time I would start reading your little green/white federal regulation bible they gave you. Eventually you need to learn it all. It will keep you from getting a ticket or a failed inspection.

You can read it online too. Pay close attention to 382, 383, 390, 391, 392, 393, 395 and 396
    Click yes to the right of each number for Q&A's
    Those are your main regulations as a company driver. I would familiarize yourself with the others too.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrguide.aspx?section_type=A

7. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    I always thought it was Illegal to Sleep on the top Bunk while the truck was moving.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. Float313

Float313 Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Lapeer mi
    i find it scary that these questions are being asked...and you're driving a truck..seriously?..without common sense..you are in for a long rough ride..

Veryblessed and T...Street Thank this.
  9. GOSTRIDER13

GOSTRIDER13 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    City with no pity
    Sounds like one of CRE Phase 1.....No top bunk when Rolling.

10. Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown Light Load Member

May 7, 2012
    lapine or
    I do enjoy and appreciate the knowledge of the experience you and others bring ...... Thank you

Veryblessed and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  11. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    I slept in the top bunk when I was training. While truck was moving. Just didn't feel comfortable sleeping in some dudes bed. Also people have been driving for years without hands free phones. Its sad just because some people can't multi task. Nobody can. Same with texting. How many people do you see driving down the road reading a book, and they are not driving slow either. So just don't get caught, and you shouldn't have a problem. Learn how to multi task it does a body good. Wonder if there is a you can't read map while driving rule. Somebody lock me up and throw away the key.

Solo1nme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.