Small "door" on reefer trailers

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by livin4theweekend, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Rev.Vassago

Rev.Vassago Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2008
    WI
    Really? Does your BOL indicate how exactly these supposed ping pong balls were loaded and unloaded? In the 11 1/2 years I have been driving, I have never seen a bill of lading that did.

So rather than wasting the cost of sending in an extra truck or two by putting these ping pong balls into boxes, they instead are using a ridiculously expensive lift to get their precious ping pong balls out? This tall tale gets better and better!

Unfortunately for you, this very concept was debunked on Mythbusters already as being totally impractical, as you would need a ridiculous amount of ping pong balls for it to work (the packing efficiency of ping pong balls, due to the shape, makes it a lousy way to float anything).

Never mind the fact that the rest of your story about ordering a DOT officer around is completely and utterly foolish. This story has been around long before you were ever driving, and will continue to be around long after you are gone.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blu

Blu Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Geneva, IN.
    WOW! Well I dunno about some of these explanations (but..they sure were funny!!)but , something has always had me wondering...

Does a tanker loaded with helium weigh less , OR more than it does when it's empty???:biggrin_2552:

Just sumthin to think about...

4. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    I dunna 'bout helium, but I weigh about the same when I'm loaded with methane. :biggrin_25524:

5. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    well, given that Helium has a lift capacity of about 1 gram per liter of gas (and I assume you are talking gas here, not liquid), an unpressurized, sealed trailer should weigh less when filled with He, as opposed to air..

on the other hand, you did say "tanker". so it would weigh MORE, since the helium, even if not a gas,is still highly compressed

6. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Thanks for sharing AS, next time you can keep that info to yourself.
    I do imagine you smell better when you are empty...

7. AfterShock

Sep 19, 2007
    Smile when you say that, pardner.
    Otherwise, I might unload on you. :biggrin_25521:

8. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    oh, lordy - i just had the awful image of AS flying around the room, rocket-propeled - when Wallbanger lights him up...

my eyes! my eyes ! I wish I was blind!

9. AfterShock

Sep 19, 2007
    YeAH!
    I'm a baaadd man! :pottytrain5::bootyshake::violent3::smt074 :biggrin_25523:

10. Muleskinner

Muleskinner <strong>"Shining Beacon of Chickenlights"</strong>

I never knew you ever got fully loaded before you unloaded:biggrin_25525:

11. AfterShock

Sep 19, 2007
    You never asked. :biggrin_25523:

No Open Flame Within 500 Feet. :biggrin_25513: :biggrin_25524:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.