Smyrna Ready Mix

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by SOLID C0LD, Jul 25, 2015.

1. SOLID C0LD

SOLID C0LD Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    What was known as Metro Ready Mix [MRM] is now Smyrna Ready Mix [SRM]. I've heard great things about MRM before & they were the top material plant in Nashville, if not TN. When I got hired there, I found out it was different than what I was told in a bad way. I interviewed with a guy I didn't even know was the CEO [Jeff Hollingshead]. He didn't smile or give a good vibe, but I thought he was 1 of those persons that acts that way because they don't know you. He told me it was a hard job with long hours & he needed someone that could endure. I was ready for it. However, when you fill out an application & get hired, your start date includes a brief orientation, then going on a truck with a trainer. It's your fault if you don't ask for a tour & meet people before committing, but when you're thinking about $ & benefits, those are your priorities.

The place wasn't what I expected. Workers warned me that environment wasn't good. Workers were treated like slaves & if they had an issue, they were told they can go work elsewhere. I only had an issue with how the plant was ran & training. It's not a friendly / family environment for the most part, & there seemed to be favoritism. There's 1 trainer there that caused problems, but some of the others were ok. Overall, they need a review program like Maverick's where workers can rate trainers. That's 1 of the reasons they got high turnover. If you view the site's Story tab [smyrnareadymix.com/story.html], you'll see they're advertised as a Christian based company that handles business daily with integrity and professionalism. That's virtually false advertisement because I ironically found that out after I got let go there. I never would've known, & I told that to a guy who worked there when we talked about what happened with me, yet he even knew that wasn't true.

Mike Hollingshead is the owner. He's a good guy but he lets his son [Jeff] get away with stuff. Jeff takes people & life for granted. He firmly stands by if you don't like the job you can leave. He doesn't thank or help you. I think he got offended because I told him about the issues & that there needs to be a better environment. I believe I read 1 of Sam Walton's mottos which was "Listen to your workers. They are your best teachers." About a week later I was told by my manager I had to be let go because it wasn't going to work out. I got let go for no valid reason & I didn't even get a separation notice. I had perfect attendance & was loyal in representing SRM. My manager, 1 of the young dispatchers, & some people in the office were good folks. I even liked the COO [Mike Zagula]. At least he treated me with respect. I can't vouch for SRM though. With it being family owned, I'm highly certain no one else can get promoted there. It's a situation where they make a lot of $ & they feel if it aint broke, it don't need fixed. It clearly needs fixed. I tried to speak with Mike H about it but was unable to. When you got dissatisfied workers mainly because of the CEO & how the job is ran, it needs fixed. You begin to wish that the company would get better people or shut down.

I don't care how much $ SRM makes, it'll never be a great place unless you don't have to be around those kind of folks & circumstances. 1 thing that should be considered is learn about a company before committing, despite how beneficial it is. It's like how I learned of Cassens Transport Co & Jack Cooper before committing. $ aint as important as freedom, happiness, & success. If you don't have freedom to where you obey regardless or jeopardize losing your job, & you aren't happy, you won't have success. One shouldn't compromise morals, integrity, respect, & freedom just to make $. That's 1 thing that has damaged the economy. If anyone feels like they still want to try SRM, stay away from the main plant downtown [2nd Av]. That's where Jeff & a certain trainer is.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Maybe trucking just isn't your cup of tea. Also, you rail against the unions but then complain about the very things they help to protect. To work through impediments and obstacles without whining, maybe you should fulfill your responsibilites as a man, despite your insecurities and constant ability to place yourself in embarrasing and un-manly scenarios.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I've delivered dry bulk cement and flyash to that plant in tankers.
    Never met the owner, but all readymix plants are screwed up from what I've seen.
    Can't work when it rains; sometimes can't work if it's too cold.
    If you want similar work it's best to just deliver bulk to the readymix plants and not deal with the wet cement and readymix trucks at all.
    Ask around for the names of the companies that do the bulk deliveries and go with one of them. Need tanker endorsement but don't need hazmat. The company I worked for no longer does bulk cement/flyash.

bottomdumpin and SOLID C0LD Thank this.
  5. SOLID C0LD

Jul 13, 2015
    that's a different screwed up from what i meant, but if people took a stand, they'd force SRM to change for the better. a lot of people complain, yet they won't unite & take action. it takes more than 1 person. how much experience does one need for bulk though?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I think Pyles hires on a case by case basis. Every one of their drivers I talked to likes working there.
    There's others out there, but can't remember the names.
    If you have 12 months experience Bulkmatic in Hopkinsville hires, but they don't haul cement, just all types of other dry bulk stuff.

7. SOLID C0LD

Jul 13, 2015
    @Chinatown last i checked, Pyles wanted @ least 1 - 2 years experience [can't remember], but the ? i should've asked was if they hire graduates, which is what i'll do when they open. i've done that & got better answers. there's a Bulkmatic in Nashville that was going to hire me but i declined it due to the odd hours. 1 day u can work days, another nights. they got plenty of work though from what the manager / recruiter told me. he was a nice guy & told me that he's up front since drivers would figure it out anyways! im considering a few local options since the notorious 1+ year of verifiable experience is ruining it. thanks for the replies

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's plenty of excellent jobs there after 1 yr. experience.
    Estes
    Saia
    Cardinal/Greatwide in Goodlettsville at the Associated Grocers warehouse. I used to work there and made real good money, but left for tankers. I did some store deliveries, but finally just did backhauls because I like long hauls. Maybe haul a load of butter out of Smyrna to Publix in Florida, then produce out of the Everglades back to Nashville. It was great for me.

9. SOLID C0LD

Jul 13, 2015
    @Chinatown that's good info but do u know how to mention or quote?!
    i was considering AWG but there was an issue with HR. i try to avoid working where people can't be respectful & help the world revolve in a good way. a lot of people don't like to look @ other's perspective. it's a hypocritical world we live in & people play for keeps. i thought about trying imi but im researching & trying to weigh my options

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tyson Foods has a facility in Goodlettsville. Probably can make $60K driving for Tyson. Check their website.
    Averitt has that terminal in Nashville and may have some good regional runs if you don't want OTR. Don't know if they still do it, but have some LTL runs such as doing a Knoxville turn every day.
    Milan Express hires new CDL grads.
    Paschall Truck Lines in Murray, KY is pretty good.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.