So explain 'conestoga'...

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by windsmith, Jan 8, 2013.

1. buckeyetrucker

buckeyetrucker Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Ohio
    You cant load a curtain side with overhead crane as a previous poster implied. Thats the beauty of a connestoga, only restriction is no oversized, and thats even being worked out from what I hear.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rockyroad74

rockyroad74 Heavy Load Member

Funny, it's called whining by the party not paying for damages and lost time. What is it called when a driver tears a company's roll-up door down? A whiney customer?

spax and johndeere4020 Thank this.
  4. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Canada
    That makes no sense, don't you know what a covered wagon is? must be torn down to load from both sides, which is a pain to do.
    No damage or lost time like you were saying.

5. Cowmobile

Cowmobile Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    The hammer lane....
  6. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    The big benefit of a conestoga vs. a side-kit flat (covered wagon), is how quick you can cover or uncover the whole trailer. I did some work with one on multi-stop loads hauling steel siding which was up to 30ft. long. How can you make 10 stops in a day with anything other than a conestoga ? If you had to tarp and untarp you'd be lucky to get 3 stops off. If you had a side kit, same thing, maybe a little quicker.

Oddly enough, I saw a conestoga with a reefer today. Anyone heard of that before ? It kind of made me wonder if he made it custom for something in particular, (trying to think of something refrigerated requiring side or top loading ?) Or if he was just on a steady Conestoga run and found a reefer backhaul he could do better on or something.

Anyways, the only other things I can tell you about Conestoga's is some of them are taller than others. And also, don't be fooled into thinking you can haul any old flatbed load with a conestoga. Besides obviously not doing any overdimensional, you also can't haul things like insulation or anything stacked too top tall on a regular flat, (it won't slide over, needs to be a foot or so shorter even with a tall conestoga. Even loads that are 96" wide can be real pesky if not impossible. So while Conestoga's are nice to save you from tarping, and can bring a premium on certain loads, they also limit what you can haul.

7. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Maybe he hauled onions or some sort of food?

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  8. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Perhaps equipment that required protection from freezing?

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  9. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    That may have been my old bosses truck, was it a Lilly Trucking rig?

10. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Here is my definition of a Conestoga wagon.

MainHeader.jpeg

Years ago the double drop trailers with side kits were sometimes called the same thing.

Mattchu and windsmith Thank this.
  11. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    wow the more i look at these trailers the more i wanna drag one. i wouldnt mind multistop loads with the ease of these trailers. i honestly dont know why even my company doesnt have more than jsut one of these and its always hauled by the same o/o.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.