So how does one leave the oil field?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by marshull, Nov 6, 2015.

1. marshull

marshull Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I am currently up in the Bakken. Making about 80k a year take home. Winter is coming and I don't think I want to do another one. Would be nice to be home with the wife and kids for Christmas.

But looking around for jobs in Charlotte NC, all I am finding so far are jobs paying between $800-$1000 a week. Currently I am taking home about $3,300 every 2 weeks. That's after taxes, insurance and housing.

Now I am not looking to make the same back home. But after taxes and insurance that $800-$1000 would be closer to $600-$800. That's half what I am making now. No way I could pay rent and bills on that. Hell, just rent and my car payments would take two weeks of pay.

So what do you guys end up doing once you leave? Where are the good paying jobs? How do you find the local companies who pay better when you work 2k miles from home? Are there oil field jobs in better weather that I wouldn't mind moving the family near?

Help me out. I hate staying, but can't afford to go.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tedlife

tedlife Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2015
    alberta
    Logging is pretty good, usually local, home every night, weekends off, same kind of pay, still in the bush and no traffic. Trade off is getting up at 1am every day. Idk where you live but usually 28-32% of the truck.

Lynne A Fobian Thanks this.
  4. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
  5. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    You're driving a tanker, and probably have your hazmat endorsement? Look for chem or cryo hauling gigs closer to home. Alternatively, if you've got a decent amount of driving experience in general, look at private fleets. Walmart, Sherwin Williams, Ashley Furniture...there are dozens more. It depends on your area and your personal skill set quite a bit.

flyingmusician Thanks this.
  6. stanman63

stanman63 Light Load Member

Jul 17, 2008
    newalla ok
    been doing this since the 80s the way I tell newbies is in your case if your taking home 80k live like you make 50k!!you should have built a nest egg life changes and in this bizz you better have a back up!JMO

7. marshull

marshull Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    How does Texas compare to New Mexico? I know the pay won't be the same as up here but the cost of living is cheaper along with the fact I wouldn't have to work in -50 degree weather.

8. marshull

marshull Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Ah yes. A nest egg. That would have been nice. I'll be sure and tell the wife about those. Don't think she has heard of them.

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Wal Mart advertises they are hiring drivers just about everywhere and claim $83,000 on average for first year drivers. The kind of income you need you ought to be looking at them or LTL companies and forget about general freight companies.

10. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    Ashley is hiring out of advance, nc about 70 north of Charlotte

I'll do around 72-73k this year on truckload no touch.

Ltl does around 70-90k+ doing multi stop store unloads.

Outstanding pay, benefits and equipment. Home every weekend

Don't bother applying unless you've got a #### near squeaky clean record though.

11. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    I think your wife and my wife are in the same boat.

Lowtide Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.