so my DPF filter was clogged

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by jamin22, Apr 18, 2013.

1. jamin22

jamin22 Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2009
    never had any lights telling me to stop and do a manual regen, never had any warning lights telling me the filter was clogged. just kind of started cutting out while I was accelerating and I was getting very poor fuel mileage, so I brought it in.

only been driving this truck for a couple weeks. its my first regen engine. cummins isx. is this kind of this common? why wouldn't it tell me to stop and do a manual regen?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    It takes a lot to clog the filters if the had been maintained properly do you have any fault codes showing up is this you're truck or company because a lot of shops are screwing people out of money with the dpf system. I had a contractor that came in with a 09 international with isx got a check engine light in IN stopped at the dealer they told him he needed new filter being that they were plugged he came to the shop the problem was a temp sensor in the dpf system so definately if this is you're truck get a second opinion even with the filters being like that you could force a regen with insite a few times if everything is working properly it should blow it out.

mitmaks Thanks this.
  4. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

They do clog up usually around 250k.....depends on how much idle time it has had.
    Some Cummins dealers have the machine that bakes them clean.

On mine it was low power,poor fuel mileage and finally the Engine Warn light came on.
    Sometimes a forced regen can help but if it is really clogged it needs pulled apart and the catalyst and filter baked clean.
    Insite will show codes for these problems.

1st50billion Thanks this.
  5. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    They don't clog up if they clog up the truck shuts off and the ecmxhaust gets plugged you need to remove then and clean the every 250k but that has not much to do with low power as I have seen truck with 500 k never have any power issues from filters and they have never serviced them before I think it's going to be a while before Euronext starts doing their proper service to the DPF system.

6. jamin22

jamin22 Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2009
    well ive only been driving it for 2 weeks and another company owned it before, so don't know if it was ever cleaned or not. 400k on the truck. like I said, it was cutting out on me, while accelerating, so something was wrong. hopefully this took care of it

i just dont understand, if it wasn't regening while i was driving like its supposed to, why didn't it just tell me to do a parked regen? or maybe it was regening like it was supposed to, but maybe it just needed a good cleaning if it actually hadn't been for all 400k. my fuel mileage was also really poor though. like 3.9mpg poor. i drove an isx for 3 years before this while similar hp (no regen) and always got about 4.5-5.

7. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    It's possible it was regenong but not at the efficiency level it was supposed to so it clogged up the filters it is also possible it was not regening at all that's what the mechanic had to check he can plug the computer and should be able to find out from the fault codes that are stored

8. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

Mine has never wanted a parked regen.I got the truck with 30k on it and it now has 327k.
    It was about the 250k mark when the filter started clogging up.Same exact problems you are having.....very low power and poor fuel mileage.
    Many times mine does a passive regen while driving and no lights come on at all.It just smokes pulling hills or when shifting in the higher gears.
    Cummins told me that was normal.
    The front half of the filter is just a big catalytic converter and the face gets plugged.That is the usual problem that causes power loss.
    Talk to any Cummins Dealer and they will tell you the same thing.

The ECM reads temps at the inlet,center and rear or exit of the filter.
    This will show when hooked to Insite.If the temp ranges are too cool at the rear of the filter then you know the exhaust is not flowing free enough due to a clog.

Also a bad turbo actuator will cause power loss and poor mileage too.The nylon gear that operates the actuator door is famous for the teeth breaking.I am on my third actuator.

Any of these problems should throw codes in the ECM.

It was about 300k when my EGR went belly up too.....
    Cummins said they usually go between 200 to 300k....

If you ever start using coolant the EGR cooler is the first place to look if you see no coolant leak on the engine..

All great designs by Cummins....:biggrin_25513:

Good thing i have a 500k warranty!

9. kw600

kw600 Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    everywhere,usa
    I have a 2013 t700, 76k miles on it. It has done a regen by itself 3-4 times already. Is that 'normal'? Truck gets good mpg but runs constantly, i think the manual regen will come in sooner than 250k mark cuz its on constantly, is that correct thinking ?

10. Norcalsac

Norcalsac Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2020
    I have kwt680 with x15 Cummins it’s asking for regan every 650 miles and when I stop anywhere my idle RPM 750 or 800 after 3 to 5 min it’s back to normal 600 also sometime truck shows white smoke by exhaust any suggestions thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.