So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HOTSHOTTER432, Apr 29, 2015.

1. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    When your piecing a load like this together. How far out of route for pickups and drops did you go for that single piece? I know as a company driver, they never ran us over 50 miles out of route to pick up stuff. And tried to keep it in that on drops. Had loads that may have 7 or 8 drops. But the pay was unreal. And worth it even in a semi and van.
    Hauled one load years ago. 24 barrels that only weighted 100 lbs each. Pay for that full trailer load was $5.99 per mile for 585 miles back in 1986.:D 2400 lbs of Gun powder for the military. No placards allowed and we hauled those loads 1 or 2 times per month for 7 months.:cool: I know there's good loads out there. But finding that link to them can be tough.
    But always wondered how far you can go to pick up a extra piece to fill out a trip. Also what is your normal gross weight you shoot for on these? My truck is on the heavy side, and if I get started in the hot shot hauling. Know I will be 4000 lb or more less the pickup guys empty weight off the bat.
    Pete

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Generally I'm picking up stuff as close as possible but the price a piece is paying is going to dictate how far I'll go to pick it up.

I generally limit our load weight to 15,000 lbs. is there time we will go a little over that? Yes but only if we feel it's safe, and it's legal for us to do so.

tnpete Thanks this.
  4. hot shot jefe

hot shot jefe Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2015
    Texas
    Nice list of things put together here guys, thanks.

I have a few questions that I didn't see.
    1. Do I need to have a DOT inspection on my truck?
    2. Do I need to have DOT inspection on my trailer?
    I have been told yes and no to both. I have no idea what to believe.
    3. Can I sleep in the backseat as long as I don't log it as "sleeper birth" time?

I will post a few other questions later.

5. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Yes, you need an annual trialer inspection.

Yes, you can sleep in your truck just log it as off duty.

6. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    You need DOT inspections on both, your truck and trailer.

7. slowhand

slowhand Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Vt

8. slowhand

slowhand Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Vt
    1st thank you flatbed carrier for all the good info. I wished I lived a little closer and could pay you for all this good info even if it was just a good steak dinner. I currently have a semi truck tractor ( older in good shape) and would like to get into what you are doing. Is it wise to start with what you have or wait until I can make a change in power unit?

9. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Advice is always free. You're welcome, glad I can help.

It really just depends on the operating cost with the equipment you currently have.

What I mean by that is? With the current freight rates that are available to you, is there enough left over for you to live comfortably on after all op cost has been deducted?

10. slowhand

slowhand Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Vt
    I currently do power only but to go your route I would either drop an axle,get a different power unit altogether . I just got onto your forum and for now I will just keep doing research and asking questions. Thnx again for return.

11. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would look at the buy-in cost, and at the ongoing operating cost as FBC said. What will it cost you to modify your truck and buy a trailer vs. what will it cost to buy a different power unit and trailer. Plus, can you sell the existing tractor.

Then look at the cost of operating the two setups. Even if it is somewhat less expensive to keep the current and modify it, a more efficient rig could make up the difference pretty quickly.

slowhand Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.