So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HOTSHOTTER432, Apr 29, 2015.

1. mchlshltz

mchlshltz Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2015
    The advice above is spot on. We are about to hit our year mark and we are seeing exactly what midewest is saying.

BankTrucking Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BankTrucking

BankTrucking Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Denver, CO
    I appreciate the quick response. I have a lot to think about and really appreciate the advice. I have gone out and started my own authority already and have an insurance agent on standby. All I really need to get going is a trailer and my IRP plates. Oh and my MC number.

I think "my friend" exaggerated on his success a bit and now is getting caught in a lie. I guess once you burry yourself in lies it's hard to break out of them. Especially since I went out and bought a RAM and was depending on him to advise me.

I really hope that the hotshots business picks up soon that way I can live out my dream or being an owner operator.

Thanks again..

TN_Chief Thanks this.
  4. TN_Chief

TN_Chief Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2015
    NC
    BankTrucking, I am a couple of years away from being able to start my own dream of being an o/o but I look forward to hearing how things are going for you. I have learned a lot from the ltlhotshot forum also. (http://ltlhotshot.myfreeforum.org/index.php). Best of luck and keep us posted.

flatbedcarrier and BankTrucking Thank this.
  5. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    I hear you. Also, did he mention Denver has never been a good area for outgoing freight?

BankTrucking and flatbedcarrier Thank this.
  6. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Freight is picking back up but yeah like Midwest1 is saying it's been a slow start this year so far.

And yes, Denver can be very rough ( anytime of the year ) when all you have is load board freight to choose from. I'm loading two trucks out of there this week, one is already loaded and rolling, and one is loading this afternoon. I also have half a load sitting there waiting for me to get another truck into the area to load it. The snow has things really moving slow over there this week.

BANKTRUCKING, I just skimmed through some of your posts, from what you posted it sounds like your friend hasn't been totally honest with you so far. The trailer you choose is very important . In my opinion you need something that can haul a mixture of freight and vehicles like a lot of us use.

Here's the load that rolled out of Denver yesterday. we got it off a load board and it pays approximately $1.80 per mile. Wasn't easy to get. The other loads I have coming out of there this week are from a direct customer. image.jpeg

BankTrucking Thanks this.
  7. BankTrucking

BankTrucking Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Denver, CO
    Midwest1, No he didn't mention anything about Denver not being a very good location for outgoing freight.
    I'm glad I came to this thread its been very helpful and also an eye opener.

Flatedcarrier, Thanks also for the always good advise.

Once I sink my teeth into something I'm very ambitious so after a lot of thinking I'm going to take the plunge within the next month or so.
    If there is any other key advise I could use as a beginner I will take it all with open ears.
    Thank you..

8. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Just do all your homework, meaning read up before you make any decisions and ask a lot of questions. There's a ton of information out there, some good, and even some that's not so good. Make no mistake about it, this business can be unforgiving and it takes a sizable investment. Not just financially. Owner Operstors who do well don't have a ounce of quit in them.

BankTrucking, Lite bug and d o g Thank this.
  9. adam hunter

adam hunter Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2016
    I have a question about equipment configurations;

1. For the operators using a tri-axle float (say 3 - 7K, 8K or 10K axles) what are the advantages versus just using a dual axle tandem set-up like a 12K or 15K.

2. Anyone upgrading to air suspension, lift axles or 17.5" tires?

3. How many more loads can you take or how much more does a low-pro trailer at 33" offer a operator versus a trailer that is taller at 38"?

Thanks for the input,

Adam Hunter

10. TN_Chief

TN_Chief Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2015
    NC
    AdamHunter, Just my $0.02.

1) While the dual tandems will corner tighter a lot of guys seem to choose the true lo-pro (which requires a Tri-axle to meet the necessary GVWR's) because it allows them to carry a wider range of cargo. It really comes down to what you plan on carrying (see #3)
    2) IMO 17.5's are worth the investment and air suspension is only worth it if you already have a customer base that requires it.
    3) Some say that a few extra inches of trailer height will make the diffence on some good paying loads. The more versatile your trailer = more loads.

I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable people will have a lot to add.

11. Johnrhadfield

Johnrhadfield Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Hello I am new to this forum. I just bought a 2014 Ram dually 3500 6.7 cummins turbo diesel 8ft bed. I am trying to get into hotshot. I dont have a trailer. I can haul 5600 lbs in the bed. If I stay in the state of Texas and dont hook up a trailer I am told I can hotshot and I do not need a US dot or MC number or even a txdo number. I dont know. My biggest question is probably I will need cargo insurance? or some form of insurance. Can someone tell me what information I a missing? Do I just need cargo insurance?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.