So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HOTSHOTTER432, Apr 29, 2015.

1. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I use Progressive. I went direct, not through an agent. I get EXCELLENT service. I can print Certificates of Insurance myself, or if needed they will do them and they will also handle adding a Named Insured. I pay around $5K per year - that's on a hot shot rig with usual trips of 300miles or less. Bigger truck, more money, more miles would get a higher rate I would think. I am allowed to do occasional longer trips without penalty.

Had a 4-wheeler forget what the words "Yield Right of Way" mean last week and sideswipe my trailer coming on the highway from an entrance ramp. Progressive handled everything and told her she won't get a dime. I made one call to Progressive to report the incident, and took one more call from them to verify the facts about the accident. Service couldn't be better!

GWS and michaelaland Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

When it's renewal time i'd get a good agent and save yourself some money.

4. mchlshltz

mchlshltz Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2015
    I have been searching through a lot of threads and cannot seem to find anyone talking about hot shot work in Alaska. So with that, does anyone operate in Alaska doing LTL or hotshot work? Or is there anyone out there with insight on the potential availability of loads in Alaska or into and out of Alaska. We are moving up to Alaska next year and would love to know if there is any work of this type up there.

5. HOTSHOTTER432

HOTSHOTTER432 Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2015
    PERMIAN BASIN
    Most O&G work in Alaska is up above the arctic circle. They bring all their supplies in during the thaw. If any "hot shots" are up there theyre going to be airplanes lol! Apologies for the lack of update everyone been working too much. Will come soon!

6. HOTSHOTTER432

HOTSHOTTER432 Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2015
    PERMIAN BASIN
    Here's an update:

So, you went to work in the oilfield eh? well lets go through some things.

Work uniforms? To work for most oil operators, you will be required (by OSHA really) to wear the appropriate PPE (personal protective equipment) What PPE is required?

1. FR (Fire-resistant) Clothing. You must wear a long-sleeve FR shirt and FR pants as well. They aren't "fire-proof" but they do self extinguish when lit.

2. Hard hat. Universal across any construction site. You must wear a hard hat while on location.

3. Safety glasses (Z87.1 Rated) Also universal, your eyes are important!!

4. Steel toe boots. Again, go onto any industrial site, chances are steel toes will be required.

5. Personal H2S monitor. Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) is a colorless gas with the distinct smell of rotten eggs, In high enough concentrations, it will kill you in a heartbeat. the OSHA low alarm is 10 PPM and high is 15 PPM. You will be required to wear it within your breathing zone on your person. You may think, "If i'm dying then why have it??" Silly question, they have safety crews for a reason, and low concentration H2S can make you sick quickly ( My alarm has gone off a few times before, even as a hot shot driver, you can still be exposed to H2S, which comes to our next topic:)

6. CLEAN SHAVEN!! is actually an OSHA requirement for anyone working possible H2S locations. and most operators have a "shave or go home" policy. I know you like your beard, I liked mine too, but I like living more, and if SHTF, I want that respirator to seal around my face tight so I can get out of there!! (again, yes even as a hot shot you can still be exposed to H2S, so no, its not a silly rule. )

7. H2S and safety training card. Keep it in your wallet/pocket. upon arriving to a rig site, you may be checked out by a worker before allowed on location, they will ask to see this card that states you have received training and are aware of the hazards and H2S.

8. Impact gloves. The hands are the most commonly injured body part in the oilfield. Protect them!

these are the main things you will need to step foot onto most oilfield locations. Whether it be drilling, frac or completion, and especially: production.

7. OldAndTired

OldAndTired Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I need to ask a question. I have been in the trucking industry since 1978. Have owned 3 trucks, driven for a few companies and have worked in the office. Pretty well rounded experience & just plain tired of working for a company as a driver, thats gotten pretty old. Before I ramble on the question is this... are there companies that lease on owners with Hotshots, and if so, best option for a trailer purchase (length). I am looking at PJ Trailers in Texas for equipment at the moment with a dually Ford 450 Larriet. Never had a hot shot but I have 10 years left until I can retire & looking for something new... All I seem to see is broker boards and of course, payment is always an issue... how in the world do you know who is good, who is bad, and where to get your feet wet? As in all businesses, certainly don't need to start out on the wrong foot.... especially if its the foot that pushes to gas pedal! Thanks in advance.

elamigowapo and operator99 Thank this.
  8. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    I'd worry more about that F450 if it has a 6.0 or a 6.4 under the hood than I would about a trailer. you'll find yourself throwing a lot of good money at that truck to keep it going.

If its old enough to have a 7.3, you're golden. New enough to have a 6.7 you will survive. Its those 2 engines from 2003-2011 that will put you out of business.

rtyr1c Thanks this.
  9. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    It's not the only place I get loads but I've been using load boards for a lot of years and I've never had an issue getting paid. The main reason for that is I always pay the little extra fee the load boards want to be able to see the Brokers credit. It tells me their average days to pay, and if they have any non payments on file. IMO, leasing on to someone is a grave mistake. With your experience being a Independent should be a breeze for you.

10. OldAndTired

OldAndTired Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Thanks for the information & advice on the brokers. I have trip leased loads over the years, sometimes its great & sometime not. Hate having to chase people for money after I have done the work, don't have much of a sense of humor about that anymore. Any load boards you can suggest, some ar e better than others i'm sure. I've looked at UShip & HotShotCarrier... a few others at a glance.

I read back to DrtDrvl's comments about tha F450. I haven't purchased a truck yet. Hate to say it but I actually took a week off after the last job & have been getting personal stuff done. Started on the trailer a few weeks ago... have already talked to Progressive about insurance, been using them for years. Getting authority, DOT#, etc is time consuming but no big deal. Obviously already have my CDL & all qualified. If you guys had a chance to buy a dream truck... something that you have learned over the years would be the best buy through it at me. Would appreciate the suggestions at this point.

My son just bought a desiel 2015 F450 Platinum and its an animal. I don't need "all" of the bells & whistles he has but the 6.7l power stroke turbo dsl, tranny & rears is impressive. They all have tow packages, Ford, Chevy, Dodge but Ford is the only one I have ran accross that has a jake brake now. My son bought a third party utility that plugs into the ECM & he's putting almost 600 ft pds of torque to the ground. Ford approved (and suggested) and didn't violate the warranty packages he bought. I'll get the name & post... has an dash mount display so he can watch what is happening in the engine but his fuel mileage jumped to 19-20 mpg from 15 mpg immediately. Again, if it was a Pete, or KW I would know what I want & what to do.. different animal here.

11. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

All the heavy duty trucks have exhaust brakes now.

All off them now should be pushing 800 ft of torque now as well. Way more power then you will ever need.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.