So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HOTSHOTTER432, Apr 29, 2015.

1. mchlshltz

mchlshltz Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2015
    I know this may seem like a dumb question, but I am wondering why do you primarily use a low profile trailer?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

So you can load higher freight. He seems to do well with the set up.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  4. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Yeah, it opens up more freight options for us. Helps keep us on the move.

mchlshltz Thanks this.
  5. Deanna Seymour

Deanna Seymour Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2015
    I am new to the trucking industry, I have just obtained my class B license w\o endorsements, I do plan on getting my airbrake endorsement in the upcoming months. I have no desire to obtain a class A license. As just starting out do you have any input on a good company to start with? I will need to be a company driver that can take a small dog. Any input will be helpful. Panther has accepted my application, but I have read negative things about them. Please help.

6. truckertrey

truckertrey Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2014
    I don't know if this have been asked or not as I'm reading along. But how much money is needed to get started in the hot shot business

7. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Well you need the truck and trailer, insurance and authority. Then at a minimum 10k to float you.

8. SirTalksALot

SirTalksALot Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2015
    I just got my Class A CDL (no air brakes) and was gearing up to to RV hauls. My uncle is retired and he does it occasionally and makes ok money doing it. I am looking for something that I can do all year as my primary income. My wife currently works retail and I'd like to be able to make enough for her to quite and go back to school and get a job she doesn't hate.

I don't have a truck yet because im not 100% sure on what to get. Im currently looking at a 08 f250 but i thinking a 1 ton my be the only option. I talked to a guy local (got his phone number) and he makes pretty good money and he owns his only trailer. I will be able to finance a used truck but definitely not a truck plus a $8k trailer.

I found a few companies like this one: http://www.hotshotlogistics.net/ (that one caught my eye because they will lease the trailer) but im not sure which ones are legit or worth dealing with.

I basically looking for advice on getting started as well as maybe a few nudges in the right directions. I have no CDL experience but I have been driving trucks and tractors since I was 13 and I have hauled boat, cattle, and some smaller flatbed trailers so I'm not worried about getting the job done at all.

Im not really interested "starting my own business" and would rather work for a company, "go here and tow this" or something of the like. I may try and do my own thing later down the road but I don't think i know enough to be confident enough to do that right now.

Im trying to gather as much info as I can but a lot of this information is a bit dated and it seems like a lot of this info gets outdated quickly.

Any help is greatly appreciated O7

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  9. SirTalksALot

SirTalksALot Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2015
  10. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I seen one guy using that type of system. Guy from Texas name Greg on another forum.

11. truckertrey

truckertrey Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2014
    How easy it to learn to strap down and tarping for new hot shot flatbed carriers

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.