So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HOTSHOTTER432, Apr 29, 2015.

1. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Why do I think the oil field slowed down? Because of politics.

Local loads will cut down your cost but they'll also cut down your income by a lot compared to doing OTR work. Thats because everybody and their brother wants that local work, and they're all underbidding each other to get it. There's underbidding in OTR work as well but nowhere near as bad as local work. And when/if you make the right connections, prove yourself to the right people you won't have to worry to much about others taking your work away from you.

As far as highs and lows, like I said above thats going to depend on a lot of different stuff. I could throw our highs and lows out there but I'd rather not. The reason is you might have a totally different experience out there?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    Lab_Rat_Logistics and fl0w3n Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fl0w3n

fl0w3n Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2015
    That makes sense.

Okay, I'm not opposed to OTR work. Get to see more of the country.

That is a good reason. Thanks again for your insight.

If you don't mind, let me ask you this, I see you frequently say "we" or refer to your work as plural - can you tell me a little about your business model? Do you own multiple trucks and have guys running under your name? Are they leased on as O/O?

4. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    My Company does a lot of different stuff but primarily I'm a operations manager for several Independent Hotshot Owner Operators, Both Newbies, and Experienced, who have specific types of equipment. I'm not here to advertise my business though.

I'm also a licensed Motor Carrier with over 30 years experience. I come on here in my spare time just to answer questions, and give free advice to those who are looking for it.

5. fl0w3n

fl0w3n Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Again I appreciate your insight flatbed. Maybe you can chime in on my other thread too :)

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  6. Newdriver2016

Newdriver2016 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Thinking of doing Hotshot and staying under 26,001 gvwr so I want have to get a cdl

7. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Get your CDL and get some experience. Running under 26k is a very specific market. Its something you work down to. Not a starting point.

8. Newdriver2016

Newdriver2016 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2015
    So what is the best route to go on getting started and legal

9. truckertrey

truckertrey Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2014

It dont really matter, you just need experience drying over the road to know if you like it at all. Of course doing flatbed straight out of school would be best but you don't have to

Joel Leland Thanks this.
  10. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

The most available freight would be with a semi and flat. If you really want to hotshot (I wouldn't recommend for a newbie) then a 4500 and 40' flat.

Or probably best in your case. Go to a training company and get your cdl. Put in couple years as a company driver and find out if you really like it.

11. Dadetrucking305

Dadetrucking305 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    The oilfield has slowed down because the price of oil has dropped a whole lot.I worked the oilfields of North Dakota for four years and wanted to start some business within the oilfield,so I thought hotshotting because I saw them running around all the time and I had made many contacts with company men.Well after buying all the equipment and getting everything set up I went to these company men and they put me on to the superintendents and so on,but I was told by these people that they were oversaturated with hotshots and could not give any more master service agreements.Long story short,I was lost on what to do next with lots of money I had saved invested and then I came across FlatbedCarrier's Help and with it I was able to get up and running.The oilfield plummeted soon after that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.