Solar panels for my truck

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by ishcp, Sep 12, 2016.

1. ishcp

ishcp Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2015
    hi, guys. I am thinking to put a rv solar panels on the back of my tractor.

I have an electronic power unit at the back of my tractor. that is a big lithium battery. I will connect with these solar panels to the lithium battery.

the solar panels will cost around 800 cad.

anybody has any ideas or any suggestions? any legal issues???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
  4. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    I don't really have suggestions as for the panels as I don't know much about them...

I will say I do see trucks in Ontario running solar panels, they don't look like your typical solar panels... They look like they follow the contours of the truck so they are a soft type of solar panel.. I have seen them on the Robert trucks out of Quebec..

[​IMG]

ishcp Thanks this.
  5. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I highly doubt that you could get enough panels on there to offset the draw of whatever you are using. Probably not going to get enough light to get the full charging capacity out of the panels and solar is at best a trickle charge.

6. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Added weight, and minimal energy production. Great idea for keeping a base charge on your batteries. Each square meter receives about a kilowatt of solar energy, but conversion efficiency is only 10-20%. So with a large panel up there(during peak sunlight and correct angle) you would be hard pressed to run anything more than a 150 watt inverter. RV's sometimes install them just as a trickle charge for the batteries when parked for extended periods of time.

7. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    This. If you were going to be parking your truck for extended periods of time without any way to plug into shore power to keep batteries charged, I think the panel idea would be plausible. But to extend your lithium batteries? Nope.

What I really think would be beneficial is a way to tie into a reefer's upgraded electrical system, and use it as a "mini-apu", rather than relying solely on electric apus.

8. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    They're making panels lighter and slimmer these days with new technology, from roofing shingles, each bwing a panel to invisible, paper thin panels, easy to locate in your favorite search engine.

imagine building's covered in see through panels set up as a power station.. its on the way.

9. Tai

Tai Medium Load Member

I know with my truck's setup the battery doesn't charge unless you have more then 20amp at 12v if the AC is on. (My inverter can charge the battery at 2, 10 20 and 40amps.) So to maintian power you'd likely need at least 300w if your only power usage is the AC.

ishcp Thanks this.
  10. ishcp

ishcp Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2015
    wow...thank you for the information

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.