Soon all new California cdl applicants must go to school.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Upright, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    I see this as a good thing. Too many people are being put into big trucks and out on the road when they have no clue what they are doing.
    Too many large companies are giving these people 3, 4, and 5 tries to pass their CDL written and driving tests...and then sticking 2 students in a team truck for "on the road" training.
    Ridiculousness!!!
    Should be forced to go to an Accredited school, with qualified trainers that have no financial stake in whether a student passes or fails. On top of that...(since everyone makes mistakes), a student should be given a second chance (and second chance only) to try and pass if they fail the first time. You either got it, or you don't.

4. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    I talked to a driver recently who just finished school in utah. The guy was having a hard time backing in the yard and as I was helping him he mentioned he only drove twice at school. The truck broke down and went to shop for tranny repairs. They still gave him his license. Its a guaranteed pass with some of these schools. This is why we have drivers out here that are incompetent

Big Don Thanks this.
  5. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    I agree for the most part with @White Dog , minus the number of retries on practical driving portion.

I think two times on the written portion would be fair, because if you can't learn what's in front of you in stationary text then you're not meant for the industry.

But on the practical.... There's ALOT to remember, and a lot to exhibit. But on the flip side, most all teenagers these days have to take drivers ed.

I don't know, this is too much of a controversial subject for me. I'm bowing out

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Well, some cop had to drive with these same drivers as part of the driving portion of the CDL exam. So, something is wrong somewhere. You can blame the schools, but I think there is a bigger problem then the schools at play here.

7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Sounds just like something that would happen here. Utah has to be one of the most frustrating places to live, particularly if you happen to be a law abiding NON MORMON.

Not even close Tex. Here in Utah, they do "3rd Party Examiners." Which in my case, as I'm sure as in the above mentioned case, was an instructor from the class. Now just how many instructors are going to fail the people that they were paid to teach? Nah, not likely.

MJ1657, tsavory and passingthru69 Thank this.
  8. ttyson

ttyson Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Cool,higher learner should equal higher wages...

9. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    I am all for better driving school's but the disagree with the guy saying twice on the written test should be all that's allowed. I got friend who's kid knows how to drive. Knows the answers asked out of the blue but when it come to the test he fear locks up the comprehensive part of his brain which causes him to not understand what's being asked.
    There are people out there that just have such a anxiety over tests that it's near impossible to pass one.
    If he could take the test without knowing it was the test he would pass no problems but the knowledge of it being a test messes him up. Does that mean he can't read or comprehend road signs or is a bad driver nope.

I think a road test needs more than just a few miles and have some real life challenges like install a GPS start from a certain point going to somewhere that along the way the GPS is going to try and get you to go on a restricted road or under a low underpass to see if you have the skills and sense to avoid real life problems.

Big Don Thanks this.
  10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I think we all know people that just can't pass a test, and yet do their jobs adequately, some even brilliantly on an everyday basis. I wonder if there is anything that could help them with this, such as hypnosis?

11. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    I see hypnotized divers on the road every day.

HousTank and lots of character Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.