Soon all new California cdl applicants must go to school.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Upright, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    I see hypnotized drivers on the road every day.

lots of character Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    I know in school a special class and never knowing if it's a test or just homework allows him to pass the tests but DMV kinda hard to not know it's a test.

I am sure there is something just not sure what but hypnosis may be an option never thought about it will talk to his dad.

4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I don't see how schools are much better. Certainly there are very good schools out there but the one I went to was nothing but a feeder for the megas. You graduated after passing the dmv testing, knowing nothing more than how to pass the test. I had a scant few hours of seat time in three weeks of so called training. They ran 6 or more week programs that qualified for federal funding programs, I ran into more than one person who had been there for 4/5 weeks without having yet been in a moving truck.

Seems the dmv could benefit from additional tests, perhaps making people drive forward through an obstacle course without hitting something.

tsavory Thanks this.
  5. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Perhaps the pay for instructors will rise also.. a little incentive helps one believe they're worthwhile

tsavory Thanks this.
  6. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Obviously there would have to be some strict guidelines set forth by the Government, either eliminating the CDL mills (like my 3 week school in the early 90's as well)---or at the very minimum force them to change their ways and abide by the guidelines, or be shut down.

Students should be TOUGHT by school trainers...and tested by unbiased outside Government employees.

And for the guy that "locks up" at the thought of and/or during a test? Not our problem. Over come it; or get a job where they don't test you.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That's news to me. What states don't do state police CDL road tests, and opt for 3rd party road testing? I don't think Texas does. That's just stupid. Maybe I could do a doctor's test online through the state of Utah and become an "MD".

8. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    I know Wisconsin in the early 90's used 3rd. Party.

9. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Oh jeeze, please don't give them any more ideas! If it is something they can make money on, that is all they care about. (They in this case being. . .you know. . .)

10. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Question is...what will this bill (if it does go to law) change or require from a school that the schools don't offer right now. Couldn't even imagine the cost or the ability for the current schools to actually teach what we do out here.
    The article said the dirt hauler had 3 months experience....nothing about if that driver attended a CDL school or if he did was it the type that 3rd partied the drive test, and had an interpreter for the written.
    How could a school offer the training and experience level to what we consider the next step out of rookiedom?

Big Don and tsavory Thank this.
  11. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    First off I understand it's not your problem and I hope the heck you never run into a problem that is not your fault and keeps you from doing something you want to do. If you do I hope not everyone has taken on your attitude.

For two I was just explaining my stance using an actual experience to explain why I stand there he's a kid and not trying to get into trucking.
    But the "not my problem attitude" of people is part of the reason we are all in the jacked up society we have today. problems of my friends and family or even my neighbor always tend to have an affect on things around me. Till we can get over this it's not me therfore not my problem. We as a community, neighborhood, state, industry, or country will NEVER be as good and strong as we could be.

What the heck ever happened to the help stranger if you csn because it the right thing to do.

MJ1657, otherhalftw and Big Don Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.