Southerland Transport

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by bubblenose8, Aug 27, 2015.

1. bubblenose8

bubblenose8 Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The worst company I have ever worked for. They don't pay orientation, don't give you a drive test, don't train, and don't even give you a physical. And if you do need a physical, you will have to pay for it. They expect you to take the truck in for maintenance and don't pay you for it. It doesn't sound bad except for the fact that the maintenance facility is TCI and they have their own trucks they work on. I had to continuously pick up the truck before it was even completed.
    The worst part is the job itself. They only pay you .35 per mile, and $35 per night in layover. You have to unload very heavy mattresses yourself and they lay them down. Most companies stand the mattresses up which makes unloading much easier. If you go into New Mexico, you have to pay for the permit out of your own pocket because they are too #### cheap to pay for the annual permit.

gsmith2332 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If that statement is true, then it is absolutely ridiculous to have to pay for a permit for someone else's truck to go into NM hauling someone else's freight.

If the state isn't on the registration, the truck doesn't go there. End of story.

gsmith2332 Thanks this.
  4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    If it's true what the Opie said, that would be the last straw, I'd shut 'er down at the state line.

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  5. bubblenose8

bubblenose8 Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2013
    In my 30 years of driving, I never had to stop in New Mexico to pay for a permit. Southerland makes every driver stop and purchase the permit. When I asked why, I got the response that it was too complicated for them to do it. What it really comes down to is that they are too #### cheap to file the fuel taxes. They did reimburse the drivers, but it could run as high as $40 for every trip. Sometimes I would do two trips per week. Not to mention the time you had to waste purchasing

6. mudkicker

mudkicker Bobtail Member

May 15, 2011
    walters,ok
    Bull crap , They do give you a physical and a drug test and they pay for it, orientation is mainly just filling out paperwork, and yes you take a road test before that ,you get your truck that day, no trainer so if your a newbie don't apply, and the new mexico permit doesn't come out of your pocket, you use your comdata card or a com check , unless you just want to pay for it, and unloading at any given store takes all but 10 minutes at a time and you're just taking them to the back of the trailer that's it , it's just mattresses so you don't have to worry at weigh stations, 5 tons loaded LOL , your paid 40 cpm , paid stops and detention and layover (40.00), you're home every weekend and your truck does 70 mph ,all fairly new cascadias , your loads are posted on a load sheet outside the dock where you drop your paperwork from your last run in a drop box , grab your load and go, you don't have to deal with anyone , it's a pretty laid back job so i don't know what you're complaining about ?
    Oh btw all trucks are repaired at penske shops , you get a temp truck until yours is ready, so you stay on the road , and you don't get your truck back until it is completely fixed.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  7. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    "The previous message brought to you be Southerland Transport. Now back to our movie"

8. mudkicker

mudkicker Bobtail Member

May 15, 2011
    walters,ok
    I started working there around the end of January , i was a rock hauler before that driving an end dump, we still do paper logs there but they say they're going to elogs soon , some days during the week when i make it back to the yard to get another load i get to spend my 10 hr break at home and leave out the next morning, im making around 900 a week after the irs gets their share ,LOL

9. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    Almost 6 years here and 27 post..... Sounds like a dispatcher or Company brown noser

superflow and Lonesome Thank this.
  10. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    I believe he's a driver. Looks like rock hauler/Schneider /rock hauler /now this place.
    But here's the thing. It doesn't matter that they reimburse foe a permit, it matters they ask you to pay for it in the first place. You're at their place picking up paperwork for your next load when you come in, if I understand correctly. Why can't the permit be taken care of then?
    I'm glad you're happy there. I'm happy where I'm at, however I think we have some bad policies and I don't defend them.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.