Southern California Driving Schools, any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by UsualSuspect, Aug 21, 2016.

1. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I am going through EDD for the training, and found these schools on their list. Any feedback on them? Is there one I may have missed you recommend that is not on my list? I am trying to stay as close to the 5/14 freeways as possible. I would rather spend the time training, not sitting in traffic for free :)

Hi-Desert Trucking School
    GSF Truck and Bus Driving School
    Alliance School of Trucking
    Exclusive Trucking School
    Dootson

I asked around and it seems like most went to Toro, but they paid out of pocket and needed something cheap.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Pick the cheapest 160 hr. course closest to your house. Get the hazmat endorsement before graduating.

Weeezerd and UsualSuspect Thank this.
  4. WiggleWagon

WiggleWagon Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Parked At The Fuel Island
    All I know about any of them, is Dootson has been around forever.... That means they gotta be doing something right, but hopefully someone else has more specific info.

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  5. UsualSuspect

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Thank you, that was fast. I need to call Dootson first, according to the State list, I would be enrolled in the lowest cost class at Dootson first, which is not 160 hours, then if needed, I would have to apply for additional funding if I needed the more expensive 160 hour course, and the funding would be on an as available basis. I need the 160 hour, that is the minimum required. Not sure why Dootson does breaks theirs down that way, none of the others do.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    How long is the lowest cost class?

7. WiggleWagon

WiggleWagon Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Parked At The Fuel Island
    Well, call them. Ask them why? there could be a very logical reason, but again, maybe not. I would definitely try going to the school that covers what you need. Keep in mind, most schools just teach you to pass the test and the real training begins on the road. Kinda scary, right? The school I went to GAVE us the answers to the DMV tests, ran us through the 3 or 4 versions of the test the DMV gave. That was to get the permit. Then they taught you how to drive the truck...again, only taught to drive it to what the DMV wants to see. DMV never asked about a log book. They never taught how to fill it out or even showed what one looked like. That was 2004 for me.

8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    What about Wally at TruckMasters ?

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I think Navajo Express hires from 120 hr. school.
    Schneider isn't too picky about length.
    I remember CRST hired drivers in Florida that went to a 40 hr. school.

160 hrs. opens dozens more opportunities. Just do what you have to do to get started.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
  11. UsualSuspect

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    In the State catalogue it states they will make a payment of $1,700 which is what the average cost is per student.
    On their websites it has this:
    "Students take as many or as few lessons as needed to complete their training. The student and his/her instructor will decide when they are ready to take their California Commercial Class A road test. The lessons are $48.00 each (1/2 hour of instruction). The cost of the course for the average student is approximately $1,700."

In my math $1,700 @ $96 an hour is around 17 hours of training.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.