speed governor mandate?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by tallmon, Jun 1, 2015.

1. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Did the mandate pass? Hearing rumors today...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    No...it's moving to the next step..there will be a public comment period starting around the end of August apx...I would advise everyone to comment.

flood and tallmon Thank this.
  4. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Was a speed set or is that up for discussion?

5. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Like everything else the government does, they'll pass the law so we can read what is in it.

6. T_TRUCKER.

T_TRUCKER. Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2014
    A city near you.
    They are trying for 65. They claim it will make the roads safer but they have no idea the cluster **** it will create. The more rules and regulations that are made the more i second guess the future of this industry

Mr.X, poppapump1332 and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  7. T_TRUCKER.

T_TRUCKER. Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2014
    A city near you.
    How is this something we can comment on? Not that it would make a huge difference but its worth a shot! Anyone have any details on where we can voice our thoughts?

8. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Could someone please explain how this would NOT make the roads safer? Ive personally seen too many supertruckers practically pushing four wheelers along in the passing lane doing 75 mph.

9. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Ever watch a NASCAR restrictor plate race where everyone has limited acceleration and the same top speed, and the huge pileups that result from EVERYONE running in a pack?

Yeah, that is EXACTLY what this will look like!

10. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    It's an other "technology" will make roads safer,,slowing some speeding trucks will but technology will never reduce traffic accidents because of driver attitude and stupidity.
    The best solution would be to base all drivers pay on hourly wages and for carriers to increase pay to attract better quality drivers. Yes I know there are those that like the pay by the mile the faster one drives the more one makes but if all drivers were paid hourly with overtime after 40 hrs per week drivers will seek out he higher paying companies and there would be no advantage to go faster..

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  11. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    With everyone at the same speed you'll likely see a lot of situation like the one in this video except it will be two big trucks running side by side.

I don't know if it will make the roads safer but I don't think that's the point. Limiting every vehicle on the road to 40 mph would make the roads safer. Quadrupling LEO presence and enforcing the basic driving rules would make the roads safer. Raising the driving age would make the roads safer. Introducing technology that would disable a cell phone when moving quicker than walking speed would make the roads safer.

A lot of things would make the roads safer but be careful what you wish for.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.