Speed Limiters Hit My Local News

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Pintlehook, May 25, 2016.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The reasons everyone listed is why I can't ever see it happening at 65. It will actually be more dangerous because of rolling road blocks, and truck lines a mile or more long. The four wheelers will rage and die.

Some old dude raged on me on one of the large boulevards here in Phoenix the other day, simply because I was doing the speed limit !!!! Yes I am now a victim of RR, I feel so dirty.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    We run a lot of Texas. Mostly in the panhandle. There are lots of 2-lane roads that are 75 mph. Highway 83, for example. You roll 65 and you'll be crawling at the top of some those hills (Canadian hill, for example). Granted, there are a few passing lanes, but these highways will be clogged beyond belief with a 65 mph truck limit.

How in the world are livestock haulers supposed to get their job done with a 65 mph limit?

tsavory and Rocks Thank this.
  4. skinnytrucker79

skinnytrucker79 Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Let the 4 wheelers die of road rage. How about slowing those idiots down first . Would be a peaceful way to get your point across and still get to where your going

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    I don't see the mile long convoys and backed up congestion coming from 65mph governed trucks that everyone keeps talking about , almost every Mega truck on the road now is governed to 65 or less and you do see snail races throughout the day but nothing that will cause extreme chaos on the highways

John Dewart Thanks this.
  6. Dominick253

Dominick253 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2015
  7. skinnytrucker79

skinnytrucker79 Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Try it through Chicago on say.. 294 or right around Atlanta . Clog up all the lanes. You will see people completely loose their minds . I think it would just turn out down right ugly

Rocks Thanks this.
  8. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    I've been through Chicago more times then I can count and traffic never moves 65 mph during the rush anyway lol

9. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Their logic? Speed causes accidents. Logical conclusion: Why 65? I am going to go about 3 mph above the minimum speed. Like 53 mph. Mr Rutherford says I save lots of money too.
    Screw the motoring public behind me.

10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    It doesn't work here in ontario but there are many of us who cheat the system with engine settings so we can show 65 but still go faster. It's a risk we take (only for very short time) to say, get back in the right lane after moving over for an oncoming truck then he hangs you out in the left lane. Without that difference in speed we just run beside each other, sometimes for tens of miles. The longest time I ever had to follow was about 60 miles. I was in my car, both truck drivers refused to back down. It really is ########. I can't imagine how bad it will be in the USA where you have many more trucks than we do.

tsavory, Rocks, tinytim and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    As someone who has gotten stuck behind a JB Hunt truck on some of those 70 mph 2 lane Texas roads and watched people lose their #### trying to pass on the shoulder or in no passing zones I'd say limiting trucks to anything under 70 is gonna cause more problems than it solves. But that's just my personal feelings and not backed by any scientific data like what the ATA has.

Edit: From a 2012 FMCSA report.

Full report here.

Sure this means that states like TX that allow over 65 on 2 lanes and other rural roads would be affected by speed limites and might reduce the number of fatalities there, but I imagine a good portion of that 63 percent occurred at speeds under 65mph.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    skinnytrucker79 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.