Speeding ticket turned warrant

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Patrick9909, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Patrick9909

Patrick9909 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2016
    hey guys, had a speeding ticket about a year ago that I did not pay, it eventually turned into a warrant. Currently on a payment plan for my warrant.

Question is does anyone know if this will hinder me from going to school, and/or getting a job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    If it was severe enough for a bench warrant being issued for failure to appear or whatever, I kinda get the impression this wasn't just an, "aww, shucks.. I was daydreaming and went 5 - 10 over" ticket. Not to mention I've never heard of paying off a warrant... those are 'paid off' by yo ### being put in bracelets.
    Hows about we take this story from the top, and you give us a more complete and detailed version of events here, because, if I had to wager money, a bet that you're not telling us the full story here is something I'd place my money on with certainty.

roshea and tucker Thank this.
  4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    How fast was the speeding ticket

5. Patrick9909

Feb 8, 2016
    On the highway, 87 in a 75. Never showed up to court, and my 175$ ticket turned into a 450$ warrant that I'm currently in the middle if making payments on. Thanks for the quick reply w.h.o

6. WitchingHour

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Your fine increased.. I'm not seeing the part about warrant.
    87 in a 75... that alone is going to close a lot of doors. More than three points within the past three years is the typical death knoll for a lot of carriers, because they don't want to pay the extra to insure you. The good news is that points drop off after three years for insurance purposes, so it's not a final nail in your coffin.
    The 'warrant' thing still isn't making sense... from what you're saying, you were ordered to forfeit $450, and I'm guessing the penalty for noncompliance would be license suspension otherwise... if a warrant is issued, you get arrested. So that's why I'm not getting where 'warrant' is coming from here.
    And that's fine that you made it a point to let me know you didn't appreciate my post... the unfortunate truth of the matter is that there's gonna be a whole lot of what you don't want to hear, in this industry, in life, etc. My response was to get more information, not to berate you. And I'm going to give it to you straight. If you don't particularly like it, then it is what it is, just understand that my intentions are to try helping you, and not to bash you.

sevenmph Thanks this.
  7. Patrick9909

Feb 8, 2016
    Regarding the points system, in Nevada that citation was 2 points, for 11-20 over the limit. So, being under the three you mentioned am I good to go?

To answer your second question, the original ticket was given to me by the officer on the spot. Boom, didn't pay it, didn't appear in court. About a month after my court date(guessing the timeframe, may be off by a week or two) I received a warrant letter in the mail issued by a judge that stated my new fine to pay the warrant, as well as a few paragraphs that ordered police in Lyon county, washoe county---list of what I'm guessing is just abOut every county in Nevada to detain and bring me before the judge in court located in fernley, nv. As you might have guessed this highly encouraged me to get my head out of my ### and make a phone call. I spoke with the clerks office and was set up on a payment plan. Still have to pay the entire 450$, but at least I won't be arrested while I'm at Walmart or something lol

8. WitchingHour

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Okay, I understand it a little better and I'm a bit more confused at the same time, but a lot of it seems to be able to be chalked up to Nevada just having a different way of doing things.
    Two things I would do first if I were in your shoes - get a copy of your MVR and see what it says on there. And contact an attorney who deals in traffic laws and get his take on it. A consultation should be free. Find out what the full implications are here, and whether that was considered a misdemeanor traffic stop or not. If it's just a dirty trick the state has up its sleeve to coerce you into paying more, and doesn't add points or appear in a criminal record, you should be alright, although you might have to wait until you have that bond paid off.

sevenmph Thanks this.
  9. Patrick9909

Feb 8, 2016
    Good stuff, I'll take your advice, quite a bit cheaper to get my Mvr at the dmv kiosk rather than ordering online, so I'll make it over there sometime around work this week, and let you know how it ended up.

Really appreciate the time witching hour. Was awesome of you.

10. WitchingHour

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    That's what we're here for. Sorry if I came off as a bit harsh.. it wasn't my intent. I wasn't upset or trying to be an ###, I was just really confused by what you were saying.

11. Patrick9909

Feb 8, 2016
    nah I don't mind harsh, better a harsh answer then an ignored question.

Every job I've had sugar coating and hand holding was certainly not in abundance, and I'm sure truck driving is no different, we're just not those kind of people lol, if we were we would be working public relations somewhere haha

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.