Speedway diesel quality?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by jaguar011, May 17, 2016.

1. jaguar011

jaguar011 Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2015
    Does anyone have experience with Speedway gas station?
    How would you rate thier diesel quality on scale 1-10?

Is there any difference from Petro/TA, Loves, Pilot diesel?

Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I typically drop from 9mpg to 8.5 if I fill up at Speedways in IL. I don't have that problem with the Speedways in TN.

jaguar011 Thanks this.
  4. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    Speedway is owned by Marathon and Marathon has seven refineries according to the wikipedia.

I doubt their fuel is any different than anyone else's.

I used to buy fuel there all the time before Pilot bought most of them and jacked up the prices.

jaguar011 Thanks this.
  5. bigdaddy music man

bigdaddy music man Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2015
    My experience at Speedway is, the older speedways have crap in their tanks and I have to change fuel filters more often. I do fuel at the newer locations in the southern states, as their fuel is a lot cleaner, plus cheaper. I know that TA/Petro still blend up their fuels, and I get poor fuel mileage.

jaguar011 Thanks this.
  6. bigdaddy music man

Feb 4, 2015
    Haslam owns several refineries that were previously owned by the chains he bought out hence (Williams) etc, and believe me, they are not losing a dime as the managers like to say. Their fuel still has water in it from several locations, and several Pilot locations sell "Hot Fuel". Fuel temps from nozzle to your fuel tank is supposed to be 60 degrees. I have measures some in Texas and Arkansas sitting at 110 deg. As you know, or should know, if your pumping hot fuel into your tanks, you are paying for less fuel. You rookie company drivers may be looked at as stealing 40-50 gal from your fuel dept, and or being told your getting poor fuel mileage because of your driving skills. Just a FYI, you most likely buying hot fuel. It shrinks when your driving down the road, and makes it all look like its you.

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    How does it shrink when you're driving down the road? I imagine that fuel would be hot considering it pumps way more through and much of it gets returned to the tank.

But you are correct in when it's hot a gallon is actually a little less than a gallon.

I fuel at a couple of Speedway, in Indiana i94 exit 34 I think. Michigan city. Also Pittsburgh PA i79 exit 65? I don't see any noticeable change in mpg. I fuel there because I get a significant discount.

8. bigdaddy music man

Feb 4, 2015
    Your looking at a change of 40 to 60 gal

9. bigdaddy music man

Feb 4, 2015
    That would be a total between both fuel tanks once cooled.

10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I don't think so.

It's something like 1 gallon at 60 degrees is 1.000 and at 110 degrees it's 0.995 of a gallon. It is not actually a large difference.

spyder7723 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The only thing I wonder about is the additives T/A, Petro, and the others add in. Because modern engines need those.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.