Splitter Question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by FallGuy44, Sep 1, 2015.

1. FallGuy44

FallGuy44 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Hello, new here.

I only have experience with Eaton Fuller 10 speed transmissions with no splitter. I will be driving a truck next week, no trailer just bobtailing. I won't know what kind of transmission until I'm in the seat, nor will I know what kind of truck it will be until the day I show up.

My question is since i won't be towing any weight will i still need to use a splitter if it has one? Can i just leave the gears in low and run through them like normal using only the range selector?

I should add that it probably won't be any highway speeds and i would guess 40 mph and under. Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    You don't have to use the splitter.

HorseShoe Thanks this.
  4. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    If you mean a 13 speed or 18, you can drive it like a 9 speed and not use the splitter. However it's recommended that you at least split the top gear to reduce heat build up since most 13/18 speeds, 9 low is run through a .73 overdrive gear in the main box and 1.17 underdrive gear in the splitter to achieve a .86 overdrive in 9 low.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Bobtail or empty I never split (unless I'm trying to diagnose a shifting issue). There is no need to hit all 13 or 18 gears in that situation. Bobtail in a 13/18 I'll usually lift off in 2nd direct and go from there. The only exception is when I hit 8th I'll split to keep the RPM's down.

Freightshaker613 Thanks this.
  6. FallGuy44

FallGuy44 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I figured as much but wanted to double check before jumping in the truck.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  7. donstrk

donstrk Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Btw splitting a 13 speed is very easy instead of shifting all you are doing is moving the small lever on the side of the gear shift. Then when you do shift to the next "set of gears" move the side splitter back to its original position like you would your high low splitter. Its easier than shifting and you might as well try splitting just so you get used to that transmission it is a good learning experience. t

8. FallGuy44

FallGuy44 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Good point and thanks. I do know the mechanics that needs to be done, just have never done it. Unfortunately, I'm not going to have too much time to practice. I am a stunt performer and this is for a TV show. I was a driver before getting into stunts. I kind of need to show up and be able to do it. I know i can drive the truck, just wanted to cover all my bases in case it was a tranny i haven't driven. I'll get a chance to get a feel for the truck but not much time. This is also filming in nyc so there may not be any room for a lot of practice. I have to play it by ear and see when i get there.

Found out today that they are also blowing the truck up so who knows how what I'll be getting into. I can be sure they aren't blowing up a 2015 Peterbilt. Haha

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Better not be a vintage KW or Pete. I might cry :'(

OLDSKOOLERnWV and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  10. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    this isnt that necessary but so you don't grind the gear when you split into high range and you take it out of gear go left and UP not left and DOWN.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.